45

When I woke up, I was surprised to find Kai still in bed with me.

I half expected to wake up alone, to find another letter on the kitchen table, but lying in his arms was so much better.

I didn't want to move, afraid that once we were out of bed, we'd say our goodbyes and everything I was dreading would be set in motion.

Kai must have sensed that I was awake, sitting up in bed, about to climb out.

I quickly turned over and grabbed his arm and he turned around and looked at me with sadness in his eyes.

"Five more minutes.. Please." I practically begged him.

He smiled softly, lying back down, wrapping his arms around me as I snuggled into him.

My chest felt heavy, an ache swirling inside me and I had to remind myself why I had to leave Kai.

While I was still on Zandara, I wouldn't be able to give him my full attention. He didn't want me here either, so my thought process led me to believe that without my presence, Kai would realise that the only thing he felt towards me was love.

He needed to see that he wasn't tainted with a gene that he believed he had, and I planned on enlising Kiara to guide him in the right direction while I was gone.

"How soon can Kordin arrange a ship to Earth?" I wondered.

"A ship will be ready within an hour. It's the rest of it that takes longer. He will need to produce documents for Emrys, manipulate the banking system, organise your housing and set up communication." He sighed.

"Communication?" I muttered, looking up at him.

"A way for you to signal that you're ready to come home.. Here.. Back to Zandara."

"Home." I breathed, feeling emotional. "So I won't be able to talk to anyone once I'm back on Earth?"

"No. We can't risk anyone finding out about us. It isn't really for our safety, more so for yours. If the authorities on Earth suspected that you were communicating with another world, it wouldn't end well for you."

"Ahh, right. I understand."

I thought that I'd be able to communicate with someone once I was on Earth, snd knowing that I'd be completely cut off made my stomach churn.

What if Kai didn't want me to come back? What if he preferred our time apart? What if something happened and the ships were all destroyed? What if they forgot about me and never returned? How would I know?

My heart raced in my chest and I began to question my decision to leave.

I couldn't force Kai to want me and he had made it clear that I was to leave. I was on an alien planet for one reason and one reason only and that reason for being here had changed.

I couldn't be selfish and cause him pain every time he looked at me, and that's what I was doing with every passing moment.

Our night together was incredible, but I knew that it was our goodbye.

Sighing, I arched my neck to look at him. "How long before everything's ready? How long until I leave?"

I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat, hoping that I'd get at least a week.

"A day." Kai breathed, and my stomach flipped at his words.

When he said the rest takes longer, I didn't realise it would only take a day.

How would I prepare myself in just one day?

I closed my eyes, taking in the moment, breathing in Kai's scent and relishing the feeling of being in his arms.