Chapter 6

Everybody Loves a Clown

I tug at the hem of my jean shorts as I walked through the carnival, scanning for EMF and looking for Dean or Sam. I hadn't found anything yet. Our stupid job was to pick up any litter and it was a lousy cover. 

We had to wear thin, uncomfortable red jackets that only the staff wore. Suddenly a prickly feeling filled my hand. I looked down to see a small speck of blood pooling on the tip of my pointer finger. 

Why was I bleeding? I hadn't cut my hand I don't think. 

I shrugged it off, wiping my finger on my navy-blue long sleeve shirt. I probably just hadn't realized I had pricked my finger. 

I looked around, spotting Dean. I make my way toward him. "You're going to get fired for being on the phone when you're supposed to be working." I tell him.

"Kiss my ass, sweetheart." He gave me a sarcastic smile. He turned back to his conversation on the phone. "Did the bones give off EMF?" He asked, setting an arm around my shoulder and leading me through the carnival. "We should check it out anyway. I'm heading to you." 

"You shouldn't be so grumpy." I tell him as he shoved his phone in his pocket. 

"Again, I reiterate, kiss my ass, my sweet little hitchhiker." Dean smiled at me again. "Anyway, Sam said that he found some skeleton that gave off EMF."

"A real one?" I asked.

"No, a fake--" 

Suddenly, Dean was pulled to a stop.

"What are you doing here, kid?" Barry, the blind man from earlier, asked when Dean and I turned to face him. 

"I'm...just sweeping." Dean answered.

"Bull. And what were you talking about? Skeletons? What's EMF?"

"Dude, your blind-man hearing is out of control." Dean chuckled.

"We're a tight-knit group. We don't like outsiders. We take care of our own problems." Barry stated. 

"We got a problem?" Dean asked.

"Well, you tell me. You're the one talking about human bones."

"Well, you see, sir, he did actually say that they weren't really real--" I began.

"Do you believe in ghosts?" Dean cut me off.

I cast him a look.

"What?" Barry asked. 

"My brother and me...we're writing a book about them." Dean lied, smiling a little. "She's...just here." 

"They're trying to make a believer out of me." I added to Dean's stupid statement. "I mean, ghosts? Really? I don't think so." 

___

After finally escaping Barry, we continued to the funhouse where Sam was. "What took you so long?" He asked.

"Long story." Dea shrugged. "Plus, we made a pit stop."

"I wanted a candy apple." I added, gesturing with said apple. 

"Mommy, look at the clown." A little girl's voice caught my attention. She was pointing across the field. 

"What clown?" Her mother asked.

Sam, Dean, and I casually walked over in search of said clown. There was in fact no clown.

___

We still had some time to kill here at the carnival and I decided to drag Dean along with me because it was the perfect distraction. So now Dean and I stood in front of a booth. I had already lost--which cost me the cutest little turtle stuffed animal you've ever seen.