Chapter 11

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

"Come on, Sam. I'm begging you. This is stupid." Dean complained. 

"Why?" Sam asked.

"Because he said so. Can we not argue?" I asked.

"Going to visit mom's grave?" Dean asked, glancing at Sam as we sped down the road. "She doesn't even have a grave. There was no body left after the fire." 

"She has a headstone." Sam pointed out.

"Put there by her uncle, a man we've never met." Dean argued. "So you wanna go pay your respects to a slab of granite put up by a stranger. I mean, hell, I more so expected Si to drag me here. She actually got people buried here."

"Yeah, and I'd rather not go see my entire family that was just murdered. The funeral was bad enough." I say. Graveyards made me uncomfortable, which is odd seeing how many graves I've dug up.

Well, maybe it's just this one. Maybe it's because my own family lies there. I had visited their graves the day after the funeral but couldn't bring myself to come back. 

"Dean, that's not the point." Sam stated.

"Well, then enlighten me." Dean says. 

"It's not about a body or a casket. It's about her memory, okay? And after dad, it just feels like the right thing to do."

My phone rang. Probably Aunt Morgan. She's been having a rough time too. Before I could answer, it hung up. The caller ID said unknown number. I shoved it back in my pocket.

"It's irrational, is what it is." Dean corrected.

"Look, man, no one asked you to come." Sam says. 

"Why don't we swing by the roadhouse instead? We haven't heard from the demon. We should be hunting him down." Dean suggested. 

"That's a good idea. You should. Just drop me off. I'll hitch a ride, I'll meet you there tomorrow." 

"Right." Dean scoffed. "I'll be stuck with those people, making awkward small talk until you show up. No, thanks." 

"You'll have Saige. She's good at small talk." Sam pointed out.

"I refuse to go." I speak up. "Jo wants Dean and I don't want to deal with that." 

___

Sam was across the cemetery, kneeling by Mary's grave. Dean had opted to stay as far away as possible. 

He stood next to me as I stared down at my father's grave. "Can I ask why you didn't burn him? It's just that most hunters--"

"It's okay." I cut him off. "I just...I'm not sure he would've wanted that. We did bury my brother's ashes though. Everyone else is rotting beneath us." 

Dean slipped his hand into mine. "I'm sorry, Si. We pulled you into this. We got them killed."

I shook my head. "I don't think so. Something about the way that demon looked at me, talked about me...He was going to come after me whether I knew you or not."

"Still, you don't deserve this."

"Neither do you." I pointed out, giving him a small smile. "But it's alright. They're somewhere better."

Though Dean didn't agree, he kept his mouth shut. That's one thing he always did around me. He might not agree with me on the whole religion things, but he never once tried to argue me on it. He told me he might not agree but he respected my belief and admired how I could hold onto hope and keep faith.