Chapter 46

Tall Tales

(Sam's Version)

Sam pried the window to the coroner's office open. The room was dark as they each crawled through the window and landed on the floor.

Dean crossed the room, opening the door to the freezer tray where the dead man was. "This oughta be quick." He pulled the tray out, lifting the sheet.

All that was left was half  of the mans shin and his shoe covered foot. One mangled arm and another chunk of...something that none wanted to identify. Blood covered the little remaining body that there was.

All four collectively groan.

"Okay, that is just nasty." Dean says.

"Uh, yeah." Sam agreed. "Mutilated. Looks to me like something was hungry." 

"I hate your job." Millie told them.

"We hate it sometimes too." Saige replied.

"They identify him yet?" Dean placed a hand on Saige's waist.

"Yeah, A research scientist from the college." Sam answered. "Guess where his office was, by the way."

"Hmm?"

"Crawford Hall, same as the professor."

"That's right where the frat boy had his first encounter." Dean stated.

"Yeah. Hey, grab me that thing, would you?" Sam pointed to the circle light with a magnifying glass in the middle.

Dean rolled it toward Sam. He clicked it on, peering down at the leg.

"What is it?" Dean asked.

"Looks like a...A belly scale?" Sam said.

"A belly scale? From what?"

"Something with a scaled belly." Saige shrugged.

"Uh...an alligator?" Sam suggested.

"An alligator in the sewer? Come on." Dean says.

"What? Well, Dean, it's A classic urban legend. A kid flushes a baby gator down the toilet and it grows huge in the tunnels."

"See, when you say a baby gator it sounds just adorable." Saige says.

"Right?" Millie agreed.

"Yeah, but no one's really ever found one. They're not real." Dean stated.

"Wow, sewer gators aren't real."

"Well, neither is alien abduction but something chomped on this guy." Sam stated.

"This can't get any weirder." Dean says.

"Maybe we should get some help. I'll call Bobby. Maybe he's run across something like this before."

"Oh, I'm sure he has. Just your typical haunted-campus, alien-abduction, alligator-in-the-sewer gig." Dean remarked. "Yeah, its simple."

"We decided to search the sewer anyway." Sam told Bobby.

"Which was the worst two hours of my life." Millie added.

Dean and I share a look.

We did search the sewer...

At one point.

"So we split up, each taking one end of the campus. Millie and I searched while Dean and Saige went together." Sam continued.