Chapter 36

Nightshifter

As we rushed through the hall back to the main lobby of the bank, gunshots echoed through the building. 

"And you said we shouldn't bring guns." Dean remarked. 

"I didn't know this was gonna happen, Dean." Sam defended himself.

"Yeah, just let me do the talking. I don't think he likes you very much, Agent Johnson."

"Well, I mean, Sam was kind of rude." I shrugged. 

We slowly step out into the main room of the bank. 

"There's only one way in or out of here and I chained it up. No one's getting out of here, understand?" Ronald says from across the room. 

"Hey, buddy. Now, why don't you just calm down? Just calm down." Dean held his hands out as Ronald backed away and raised his gun. 

"What the--? You!" Ronald yelled. "Get on the floor now!"

"Okay, we're doing that." Dean says, dropping to his knees. I followed his lead, doing the same. "Just don't shoot anybody. Especially us." 

"I knew it. As soon as you two left. You ain't FBI. Who are you?" Ronald asked. "Who are you working for? Huh? The Men in Black? You working for the mandroid?"

"We're not working for the mandroid." Sam spoke up, voice harsh.

"You shut up! I ain't talking to you! I don't like you!" Ronald yelled, pointing at Sam.

"I don't think he likes you." I whispered as Dean gave Sam a 'told you so' look.

"Fair enough." Sam says, voice calmer now. 

"Get over there, frisk them down, make sure they got no weapons. Go." Ronald told one of the people that sat in a line. 

A man stood, scurrying toward us. He patted Sam down first, then me. 

I prayed he didn't find the small blade tucked in the side of my bra that Dean told me to hide there. 'Just in case', he said. 'Let me help you', he said. 

Sure, help. 

He missed it. 

Thank God.

He moved to Dean, finding a small knife in his boot. 

"Now what have we here?" Ronald asked, moving closer and grabbing the weapon. 

"I'm not just gonna walk in here naked." Dean says when Sam gave him a look. 

"Get back down." Ronald told the man as he dropped the knife into a paper slot at a desk.

"No, no, no, no!" Dean called out, but it was too late. "Saige gave me that, damn it."

It was a birthday gift a few years back. 

"We know you don't wanna hurt anybody but that's exactly what will happen if you keep waving that cannon around." Dean gestured to the gun. "Why don't you let these people go?"

"No! I told you, if nobody's gonna stop this thing, then I gotta do it myself." Ronald insisted. 

"Hey, we believe you." Dean told him. "That's why we're here."

"You don't believe me. Nobody believes me. How could they?" Ronald asked, and I knew how he felt. 

I'd been going through it my whole life. No one ever believes you when you say you saw something or you hear voices or that there's something following you through the dark. 

"Come here." Dean says.

"What? No."

"You got the gun, boss, you're calling the shots. I just wanna tell you something." Dean assured him.