Chapter 48

Roadkill

I got out of the car. The snow had turned to rain now. The road was slippery beneath my boots. The snow covering the ground had halfway melted so spots were nothing more than mud.

"Haven't I told you not to call me doll face?" I asked Dean as we moved to the trunk of the car.

He pulled out his keys, unlocking the lid. "Yeah, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna listen." He smiled at me, lifting the lid.

"This can't be happening." Molly said as she stumbled out of the car.

Dean lifted the hideaway lid as well, propping it open with a shotgun to reveal the arsenal in the trunk. "Well, trust me, it's happening." He grabbed a sawed-off, loading rock salt bullets into it.

"Well, okay thanks for helping but I think I've got it covered from here." Molly says from behind us.

Crap.

She's seen the arsenal.

She began backing away from us and the car.

"Wait, wait. Molly, wait a minute." Sam said.

"Just leave me alone."

"No, no, no. Please, you have to listen to me."

"Just stay away."

"It wasn't a coincidence that we found you, all right?" Sam said, moving toward her as she turned and kept walking.

"He is so not helping our case." I told Dean. "Chasing the poor woman down isn't going to convince her we're trustworthy."

Molly stopped walking. "What are you talking about?"

"We weren't just cruising for chicks when we ran into you, sister" Dean said. "We were already out here. Hunting."

"Hunting for what?" Molly asked.

"You probably won't believe us." I spoke up.

"Ghosts." Dean stated.

"Just rip the band aid off, huh?" I asked.

Sam stammered over his words for a moment. "Don't sugarcoat it for her."

"You're nuts." Molly said as Dean walked back toward the car, toward me.

"Really?" Dean asked. "About as nuts as A vanishing guy with his guts spilling out." He shrugged. "You know what you saw."

"We think his name his Jonah Greeley." Sam began as Dean dug through the trunk to fill a duffle bag with essentials. "He was a local farmer that died 15 years ago on this highway."

Molly shook her head. "Just...s-stop."

"One night a year, in the anniversary of his death...he haunts this road. That's why we're here, Molly. To try and stop him."

"Yeah I suppose this ghost made my car disappear too?"

"Well..." I mumbled.

"Crazier things have happened, huh?" Dean said as we walked toward Sam and Molly.

"You know what?" Molly laughed, but it held no humor. "I'm all filled up on crazy. I'm gonna get the cops myself."

"I don't mean to be harsh, but I don't think you're gonna get too far." Dean told her as she stopped walking again.

"Hey, that's progress. Normally, you don't care if you're harsh." I patted his arm.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Molly asked.