Chapter 35

Nightshifter

"So, what's it like, being an FBI guy?" The dark haired girl who worked at the jewelry store asked Dean. Out of the entire interview we've just had, she's acted as if I weren't here at all while she shamelessly flirted with Dean.  

And, Dean--like the ass he is--played along. I knew it meant nothing and was just because of our little ongoing game. He was getting restless, but refused to lose so he's resorted to this. I, on the other hand, was doing well. We were hitting the week and a half mark since our deal to see who could go longer without sex.  

"Well, it's dangerous." He replied, eyes flickering to me. He had tried almost every trick he could think of. Showering me with every pick up line known to man, using the fact that his birthday was yesterday, and the list goes on. 

I wanted to roll my eyes, but acted unbothered, which I knew would bother him more. 

Two can play at this game, my friend. 

"And the secrets we gotta keep. Oh, God, the secrets." Dean shook his head.

He's a horrible actor. 

"But mostly, it's lonely." Dean continued. 

"I so know what you mean." The woman nodded her head. 

Across the room, Sam was interviewing the manager of the store. We all know he's the only one here getting any actually useful information. 

"So back to the case." I spoke up, straightening my shoulders. What we knew so far was a close friend of the manager or owner or whatever had robbed this place, all of the jewelry and everything from the safe, then hid it all, then went home and committed suicide. "She killed herself, correct?" 

The woman looked at me as if I were interrupting something super important. "The cops said she dropped a hairdryer in the bath and fried herself. They should know, right?" She says as if this all was my fault. 

"Mm-hm." I hummed.

"Well, thanks, Frannie. Think that's all we need." Dean says. 

"Really? I mean, because I've got more." She says quickly before we could walk away. "You know, if you wanted to interview me sometime in private?" 

I bit back a laugh, knowing Dean would weasel his way out of this now that he realized it wasn't bothering me. 

"Yeah, yeah. I think that's a good idea." Dean says, making my eyes snap to his. "You're a true patriot, you really are. Why don't you write down your number?"

Okay, so he's really bitter than he's losing. 

She jotted down her number, then we turned to walk away. As we walked toward Sam, I reached over and snatched the paper from his hand. I knew he just got her number to bother me, which it was working. "Real funny there, Dean." I muttered, ripping the paper in half then shoving it in my pocket. 

"What?" He asked, playing dumb. 

"You know, this whole trying to get me to break first thing is not working. I'm just fine. You're the one who clearly is suffering right now." I tell him. 

Was I tempted to drag him off to the nearest dark room? Yes. Was I going to admit that? No. I'm planning to win. I can go longer than a week and a half without sex. 

"The police, they took all of the security tapes, first thing." The manager Sam was talking to said as we got near. 

"Of course they did." Dean muttered. 

___

"Looking at the file, this is it." Sam says as Dean parked the car. It was raining tonight with a light chill in the air.