Chapter 21

The Usual Suspects

I duck back behind a wall. 

Who put so many cops in the police station?

I peek out again. I watch Sheridan and a woman I hadn't seen before walk down the hall. My eyes dart to the door they walked out of. I cross the hall, peeking into the window of the door next to it. 

Dean sat at the table, like Sheridan said, in chain. I quickly duck inside the room, smiling. 

"How the hell are you here?" Dean asked, glancing behind me.

I pulled the blind over the window. "Hair pin." I answered, sitting down next to him. "So how's it going?"

"So you figured out how to break out and you don't run for the hills? You come pay me a visit?" Dean asked. 

"Well, you see, I wanted to see the whole shackled look. I got curious." I shrugged. "By the way, it's great."

Dean gave me a look. "Why are you really here?"

"Because I like you."

"Wrong, try again."

"Because I think you're cute."

"Wrong."

"Because I wanted a kiss...?"

"Wrong, but who am I to deny you that?" Dean asked, leaning over and pressing his lips to mine. 

When he pulled back, I sighed. "So...?" He asked.

"I couldn't figure out the Dana Shulps thing. But this really annoying dude keeps trying to get me to turn on you. It's really making me mad. I just wanted to stop by, say hey, remind you that I got your back. Also," I say, "I don't want to go to prison."

Dean took my hand. "You're not. Okay? I promise. I'm getting you out of here. One way or another."

I smiled. "You're so sweet."

"Wait, what if it's not a name?" Dean asked.

"What?"

"Dana Shulps."

"An anagram. You're right." I smiled. "You're a genius, Dean."

He shrugged his shoulders.

Footsteps were outside of the door then.

"Crap." I mutter. 

Dean's eyes went wide.

I duck under the table, pulling my knees to my chest. The door opened.

"Mr. Winchester?" A voice asked.

"Yeah." Dean answered. 

"I'm Jeff Krause." The man says. "I'm with the public defenders office. I'm your lawyer."

If he's a lawyer here for Dean. I've probably got a lawyer heading to my room.

If I'm not there...

Crap. 

Dean must've realized this too because he nudged me with his foot. He wanted me to get out now. "Oh, thank God. I'm saved." He says sarcastically. Jeff sat down. "Hey, can I steal a pen from you, some paper?"

"Sure." Jeff slid him those things. "Well, the police haven't found a weapon yet, so that's good."

I slid past Jeff undetected. I slowly stood behind him, biting my lip. Dean glanced up from the paper he was writing on. He shot me a look. Hurry up. 

When I reached the door, he winked at me since the lawyer was focused on a stack of papers. 

I slip out of the door.