Chapter 37

Nightshifter

My eyes jumped around, tears blurring my vision. I spotted Dean, ducking behind a counter. I quickly moved to join him. Sam followed. 

"Take care of the guard. I'm going after the shifter." Sam whispered, handing Dean the key before running off.

I stayed with Dean, gripping his arm. 

We moved to the next counter, ducking behind it and getting as close to Ronald as we could.

"Sorry, Ron." Dean whispered. "You did a real good job tracking this thing. You really did." He stuffed the key in his pocket, grabbing Ron's gun. 

___

"This will all be over soon." Dean muttered as we walked the guard who was having heart trouble to the door. 

I pushed the door open. 

"Everything's gonna be alright." Dean says as the guard called out for no one to shoot.

Cops surrounded the area. Swat teams, ambulances, FBI, news reporters. 

"No, no, no. Back up! Don't even think about it!" Dean yelled. "Son of a bitch." He muttered. "I said get back now! Go, go." He gave the man a gently push before grabbing my arm and pulling me back into the bank. 

A gunshot went off. 

Pain erupted in my leg. 

I stumbled, crying out. 

"Fuck." Dean breathes, gathering me in his arms before locking the doors. "We are so screwed." 

___

I sat on the stairs, biting my lip as Dean tied a strip of fabric tightly around the bleeding wound in my leg. 

"I'm so sorry, baby. I know it hurts." Dean says.

"It doesn't. Not really." I whimpered as he helped me to my feet. 

A phone rang. "Yeah?" Dean answered, slipping an arm around my waist to support me as we walked down the stairs. 

 "He's slipped his skin." Sam says as Dean put it on speakerphone.

"What?" 

"Yeah, he's fast. Faster than he one in St. Louis." 

"It's like playing a shell game. Could be anybody again." Dean ran a hand over his face. 

"Yeah, a bunch of the employees busted out of the vault." Sam tells us.

"You search every inch of this place. I'm gonna round everybody up." Dean says, hanging up. He shoved his phone back in his pocket. 

With every step, pain shot through my thigh and up my body. "Dean, just leave me here. I can't help. I'll go try and talk the police down."

"No can do, angel. You're just as wanted as I am now." Dean sighed. "Can't let you out there or leave you alone for the shifter. Your leg is busted. You got no chance to get away." 

___

I leaned against the vault door to keep some pressure off of my leg. 

"And I thought you were one of the good guys." The woman who had been infatuated by Dean earlier muttered. 

"What's your name?" Dean asked. 

"Why would you care?" 

"My name's Dean. This is Saige." He gestured to me.

"I'm Sherri." 

"Hi, Sherri."

I whimpered when I lost my footing and almost fell.