Chapter 33

Playthings

Dean and I stood on the front steps of the hotel, watching as the coroner loaded a body bag into a vehicle. Susan was talking to some police officer still.

She turned, walking toward us and the building.

"What happened?" Dean asked.

"The maid went in to turn down the sheets, and he was just...hanging there." Susan answered.

"That's awful. He was a guest?"

Susan nodded her head. "He worked for the company that bought the place."

"Hm."

"I don't understand."

"What?" I asked, turning my eyes away from the scene before me.

"Had a lot of bad luck around here." Susan says. "If you'd like to check out, I'll give you a full refund."

"No, thanks." Dean says. "I don't scare that easy." He smiled.

"He was my ride, so...." I trailed off in a joking tone.

___

When Dean and I reached the room he shared with Sam, the door was open. Dean grabbed the key from the lock, stepping inside. I followed, shutting the door behind myself.

"There's been another one. Some.guy hung himself in his room." Dean states.

The room was dark, only moonlight leaking in from the open curtains.

"Yeah, I saw." Sam mumbled, sitting slouched over in a chair.

"We gotta figure this out and fast." Dean dug through his bag. "What'd you find out about Granny?"

"You're bossy." Sam says. Both Dean and I turn to look at him.

"What?" Dean asked.

Sam looked up, his hair messed up and in his sight. He held his arms out in a semi-circle as if repeating what his brother had just said. "You're bossy." He repeated, letting his cast cover arm drop. He laughed. "And short."

I laughed a little.

"Are you drunk?" Dean asked.

"Yeah. So?" Sam asked, looking at his brother oddly. "Stupid." He muttered.

"Sam." I say. "Name calling is below us." There was a joking tone in my voice.

Sam laughed again. "You're short too."

I nodded. "I'm aware."

"Dude, what are you thinking? We're working a case." Dean says.

Tears brimmed Sam's eyes. "The guy who hung himself. I couldn't save him."

"What are you talking about?" Dean asked. "You didn't know. You couldn't have done anything."

"That's an excuse, Dean." Sam stated. "I should've found a way to save him."

"Did you even know another guy checked in?" I asked. "I wasn't aware he was here until..."

"I should've saved Ava too." Sam continued.

"Here's the angst, I guess." I mumbled.

"Well, you can't save everyone, even you said that." Dean reminded him.

Sam slammed his fist into the table. "No, Dean! You don't understand. The more people I save, the more I can change."

"Change what?"

"My destiny, Dean!"

Dean sighed. "Alright, time for bed. Come on, Sasquatch." He pulled Sam to his feet.