Chapter 25

Crossroad Blues

I pulled back though every part of me was screaming not to let him go. 

"Be safe, my pretty little hitchhiker." Dean brushed his thumb across my bottom lip. 

I nodded my head, my body going cold when he stepped away from me and headed for the front door. 

A tingling feeling spread through my chest and down my arms. A million tiny needles pricked my fingers and palm. I looked down, rolling my sleeve up. I ignored the scar that went from my wrist up to the crook of my elbow, instead focusing on the black veins creeping up my arm.

___

Sam lined the fireplace with goofer dust as we stood in the office. 

"What is that stuff?" Evan asked as Sam began to pour a circle of it around him.

"Goofer dust." Sam repied.

"You serious?"

"Yeah. Afraid so." 

"He's doesn't really joke much." I added.

"Look, believe me, don't believe me. Whatever you want." Sam says. "Just whatever you do, stay inside this circle, alright?" 

"Let me...in..." The voice whispered in my mind. 

I shut my eyes tightly, trying to will it away. Instead she formed out of the darkness I was met with. Her figure mirroring mine, her hand outstretched before me. Inviting me to her. 

I opened my eyes, scared she'd be before me even in the light. In the real world like she had been before. 

"That's the last of it." Sam says, tossing the empty bag to the floor after he finished the circle. 

Suddenly, Evan spun around, eyes wide.

"What?" Sam asked.

"You hear that?" Evan asked. 

"No. Where?" Sam asked. 

The figure appeared at my side, looking--head titled--curiously at the door just as Evan spun around. My hands shook, body frozen. No one else--just like last time--saw her. It was just me, watching the woman's figure that was drenched in shadows.

"Right outside the door." Evan pointed to the door on the other end of the room. 

Then the figure reached out, taking my hand. I couldn't pull back or stop what was happening. "Don't be afraid. We are one." She says, darkness pooling around my wrist and hand before seeping up my arm. 

Then I was being pulled forward, my hand held out in front of me as she took the lead. 

"Saige?" Sam asked.

"I can't stop." I say, eyes stinging and voice shaking. 

"Saige, get away from the door." Sam says as the door shook. 

This time I heard the growling and barking of the hellhound on the other side. 

"I can't!" I snapped in fear. The figure stopped at the door, reaching out with her other hand. "Stop it." I say, but her hand didn't latch onto the handle. Instead, she placed her palm flat against the wooden door. 

For a moment, the wood smoldered, a symbol beginning to burn onto it. Then it went out, nothing happening. The shadow woman frowned, eyes turning to mine.

"Help me. Let me in." She says. 

"No thanks." I mumbled, ripping my hand from hers. Then she disappeared.