Chapter 28

Croatoan

"This is my vision, Dean." Sam says as the older Winchester turned to face us. "It's happening."

"You know, maybe you two should listen to me more often." I laughed nervously, wrapping my arms around myself. 

"Yeah, I figured." Dean replied. 

"You can't kill him. Not yet. We don't know if he's infected or not." Sam says. 

"Oh, I think we're pretty damn sure." Dean argued. "Guy shows up out of nowhere. Got a cut, his whole family's infected."

"How did he even know to come here?" I asked. "We had the front lights off. I mean, from the outside it seems like nobody's in here."

"Saige." Sam says.

"I didn't say kill him, I'm just saying it's weird." 

"We should keep him tied up and wait and see." Sam stated. 

"For what? For him to hulk out? Infect somebody else?" Dean asked. "No thanks, can't take that chance." Before he could walk away, Sam grabbed his arm. "Hey, man, I'm not happy about this. It's a tough job. You know that." 

"It's supposed to be tough." Sam stated. "We're supposed to struggle with this. That's the whole point."

"What does it buy us?" Dean asked. 

"A clear conscience, for one."

"Well, it's too late for that." Dean went to walk away again, but this time I caught his arm.

"Dean, what is wrong with you?" I asked.

"What?" He asked.

"I love you, you know that, but something is not right here." 

"You might kill an innocent man and you don't even care." Sam added. "You don't act like yourself anymore. Hell, you know what? You're acting like one of those thing out there."

"Okay, that's a little far, Sam." I began. 

Dean walked by Sam. 

When he tried to grab Dean's arm, he was shoved across the room. 

"Dean, come on, let's not--" I latched onto his wrist.

"Saige, let me go." Dean says.

"Just listen to me for a minute, Dean. You're scaring me. This isn't you." I thought maybe if I told him how I've been feeling since...Well, since his dad died, maybe he'd listen. I tried to keep things light and happy, but he was scaring me. Something was wrong.

"Yeah, well, maybe it is." Dean pulled his hand from me, stepping into the hall and slamming the door shut. He locked it behind him, keeping me and Sam in the waiting room.

"Open the damn door. Dean." Sam says.

"Dean Winchester, get back here." I slam my fist into the door. 

"Don't do it, Dean!" Sam yelled.

Dean pulled out his gun, stopping at the door where everyone else was. 

I waited, leaning against the door, for the gunshot. But nothing ever came.

___

I sat at the table with Sam and Dean as we made some bombs out of the medical supplies. None of us had spoken since earlier. We hardly looked at one another. 

"It's been over four hours." Dr. Lee stopped in the doorway. "Duane's blood is still clean. I don't think he's infected. I'd like to untie him, if that's alright."