Chapter 49

Roadkill

Dean easily shoved the dresser out of the way, then knelt by the small door that was hidden behind it. He stood, turning to face me again as he tried to kick the small door in. 

It didn't work.

He kicked again and it snapped open. He knelt again, shining his flashlight inside. I handed him the gun back before he ducked into the room. I followed behind him. 

The entire room was covered in cobwebs and dust about three inches thick. 

"It smells like old lady in here." Dean remarked as he stood up. 

I stood as well, following Dean as we moved through the cluttered attic. 

A woman's skeleton hung from the ceiling. A chair knocked over under her feet. 

"And that would explain why." Dean stated. "Well, now we know why nobody ever saw her again."

"She didn't want to live without him." Molly and I realized. 

"Dean, give me a hand." Sam said, picking up the chair.

"Really?" Dean asked. 

"What are you gonna do?" Molly asked.

"We can't leave her like this." Sam stated. 

"Why not?" Dean asked.  

"She deserves to be put to rest, Dean."

"He's right. Now go help your brother." I gave his shoulder a shove. 

Dean shook his head slightly, moving over to Sam, who stepped up onto the chair to cut her down. 

"Son of a..." Dean muttered, trailing off as he caught the body.

___

Dean grunts, tossing another shovel-full of dirt to the side. He then climbed out, standing beside me. We placed her body in the grave we dug outside of her house. 

It might sound weird, but I loved watching Dean dig up a grave. 

It was hot.

"So if you manage to put Greeley to rest too...what happens to him?" Molly asked as Sam began piling dirt back into the grave. 

"Lady, that answer is way beyond our pay grade." Dean said, brushing his hands on his jeans. 

"You hunt these things but you don't know what happens to them?"

"No one does, really." I stated. "Who knows what's waiting for us after death." 

"They never come back. That's all that matters." Dean shrugged. 

"All right, Grumpy Gus, keep your bleak comments to yourself." I patted his back as he moved to start shoveling the dirt back into the grave.

Sam sighed. "After they let go of whatever is keeping them here...They just go. I hope someplace better, but we don't know. No one does."

"What happens when you burn their bones?" Molly asked.    

"Um...well, my dad used to say it's like death for ghosts, you know? But, truth is, we still don't know. Not for sure." Sam says. "I guess that's why we all hold onto life so hard. Even the dead. We're all just scared of the unknown."

"The only thing I'm scared of is losing David. I have to see him again." 

My heart broke for her. She doesn't know. She wanted something she would never be able to have again. 

I glanced at Dean. 

Come to think of it, nothing much scared me. Nothing but losing him. Imagining my life without him made my chest hurt. Death didn't really scare me. Monsters didn't. But losing him scared the life out of me.