Chapter 32

Playthings

I rolled my eyes as Dean slapped my ass as I walked through the door. "Keep your hands to yourself." I tell him as Sam hung up his phone. 

Dean shot me a look. "What'd she say?" He asked Sam, referring to Ellen.

"She's got nothing." Sam replied. "Me, I've been checking every database, federal, state and local. No one's heard anything about Ava. She just--Into thin air, you know." 

"I'm sure we'll figure this out, Sam." I tell him as Dean dropped his keys on the table. I took my coffee cup from him before moving to sit on our bed. 

Dean set a cup in front of Sam. "What about you?" The younger Winchester asked.

Dean shook his head. "No. Same as before. Sorry, man."

"Ellen did have one thing." Sam continued. "A hotel in Cornwall, Connecticut. Two freak accidents in the past three weeks."

"Yeah, what's that got to do with Ava?" Dean asked, setting his cup down on the table beside our bed before pulling off his jacket. 

"It's a job. I mean, a lady drowned in the bathtub. Then a few days ago, a guy falls down the stairs, head turns a complete 180. That's not normal. Look, I don't know, Dean, it might be nothing, but I told Ellen we'd think about checking it out."

"You did?" Dean asked.

"Sam, no." I complained. "It's date night." 

"You two seem surprised." Sam stated as Dean sat down on the bed.

"I'm not, but it's date night. Not hunt some weird monster in a hotel night." 

"Well, yeah, it's just, you know, not the patented Sam Winchester way, is it?" Dean asked his brother. 

"What way is that?" Sam questioned.

Dean shrugged. "Just figured after Ava there'd be, uh, you know, more angst and droopy music and staring out the rainy windows--" He turned his eyes to Sam, only to receive a glare. "Yeah, I'll shut up now. And Si, I'm sure we can push date night a few days."

I pushed myself up onto my knees, placing my hands on Dean's shoulder as I sat behind him. I leaned in to kiss his neck. "Can we, though?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah, Sam, you know what, date night is very important. I care about keeping our relationship heathy." Dean says as I pulled back.

Sam scoffed. "Could you two just not for five minutes?"

Dean moved to lean against the headboard as I sat on my knees beside him.

Sam stood. "Look, I'm the one who told her to go back home. Now her fiancé's dead and some demon's take her off to God knows where. You know?" He crossed the room. "We've been looking for a month now and we got nothing." He sat down on his bed. "So I'm not giving up on her but I'm not gonna let other people die either. We gotta save as many people as we can."

"That's a really good way to look at it." I agreed. "Solid idea."

"Wow, that attitude us just way too healthy for me." Dean says. "You've been around Si way too long. I'm officially uncomfortable now, thank you." 

I shoved his shoulder.

"Alright, call Ellen, tell her we'll take it." 

___

Stepping out of the car and into the deary weather, I felt Dean's hand on my waist. Dark clouds skittered across the sky. It would probably rain later. 

"Dude, this is sweet." Dean remarked as we stared up at the large hotel. It was a Victorian style house with lots of windows. Shrubbery lined the foundation. "We never get to work jobs like this."