Chapter 35

(Recap)

“I didn’t.” D laughed when he saw Ethan pull out a sharp stick.

“What’s that supposed to do? You know you cannot harm Death.” Ethan said nothing and just threw the sharp stick at D like a javelin. D raised his arms as if inviting it, he looked amused, but when it struck him in the chest, making him tense and then fall to his knees. He seemed shocked and confused.

“The stick came from the tree. How?”

“A friend mentioned where I could find it, if ever I was in need.” Ethan said making D clench his jaw in anger.

“Once I am free of this I will find you and make you suffer as you have never know before.” D said, his eyes swirling.

I walked over to Ethan, still holding Van up and Ethan easily picked her up, and then ran for the back. He pushed me ahead of him directing me where to go.

I looked back at D just before I went through a concealed door and I heard D whisper in my mind, “Soon.”

I quickly turned back and ran as fast as I could into the dark.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 35

We had been running for awhile, thoughts still swirling around in my head. Thoughts of Vicky, thoughts of Lily, even thoughts of my mom. So many things had happened and I can’t help but feel that it’s my entire fault.

We were running through an alleyway, when we came across a deserted parking lot; it only had a few cars parked in it. Ethan set Van down, she was slowly coming too.

“Stay here and keep your head down.” Ethan said as he left us in the alleyway. I crouched down in front of Van; she had a really nasty head wound which would explain why she kept slipping in and out of consciousness.

“Van, Van can you hear me.” I whispered, when she didn’t say anything but just moan I said, “Everything’s going to be okay. We’re going to be safe.”

I sat down next to her, rubbing her hands in an effort to warm her up, because she looked kind of pale and her hands were freezing. I wasn’t sure if that was from the nights events or the actual night, I was starting to feel the chill too. The night felt as if it was the longest night of my life, the horizon was slowly lightening, a sign that it was almost over and that the sun was rising.

“Where are we?” Van suddenly asked as she rubbed her head and looked around.

“In some town, I wasn’t really paying attention. I just… kept running.”

“How did we get away?”

“Ethan threw D with a javelin like stick.”