Chapter 41

(Recap)

“I told you this place is a place for tormenting the mind. You cannot trust your eyes. Stay close to me; it appears this place affects you deeply.” Akil said and grabbed my arm to drag me along. I went without a word, everything that had happened, everything Ethan and my dad said, hit on the mark, leaving me feeling raw and exposed. In that moment I wanted to die so much, I didn’t want to kill my family; I didn’t want to watch them die one by one.

“We’re nearly there. I can see the river” Akil said, his voice low and emotionless.

We crossed the street in front of my house and instead of the usual row of houses that was in front of my house, there was a field and a hundred yards away was a giant river. It smelled like the sea and freshly cut grass, I remembered smelling this before. It felt like a long time ago, but the memory was forever etched into my mind.

“The River Styx.” I said in a hush voice and I saw in the corner of my eye Akil do a double take as if he hadn’t expected me to know, but I remembered it and the chill that passed over me wasn’t from the cold.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 41

Ethan’s POV

We had been travelling none stop, the amount of damage that worldwide earthquake caused not to mention the hysteria that followed was insane. It was as if the end of days had truly come about, but without the mass attack from hell and it left me feeling sick to my stomach.

The sun had been up for a while when we had finally reached the Mayan temples. We hadn’t rested at all and my legs felt strange as we begun to slow.

The temple was uncharacteristically empty, usually you’ll have the place crowded with ghosts all amped up for a sacrifice, or you would see the long dead tortured souls milling about lost and confused from their sudden and horrific deaths, but it was deserted as if the entire lot of them were reaped.

“I don’t - like the looks - of this.” Tommy said panting from exhaustion as he also slowed down at the sight of the deserted runes.

“They - where here.” I panted out, stopping altogether to rest on my knees. “The well is close.”  Taking a gulp of air I straightened up, and said, “We need to keep moving.”

I felt Tommy grab me and say, “We need - to prepare and - protect ourselves. No telling what - we’ll find at the well. First- we rest a little.” Tommy said and I nodded, as we caught our breaths.

I knew what he was saying, but not wanting to think about it. They could have caught Violet and where right at this moment sacrificing her to the Well in the hopes that it would bring them back. That thought in mind break time was over and it spurred me on, Tommy trailing behind after we cloaked ourselves. Making us virtually invisible to them.

It wasn’t long until we came across the first ghost, his attention was on the activity going on at the Well.