Chapter 40

(Recap)

"Why did you order your... soldiers to not kill anyone?"

"Dead humans equal ghosts...ergo."

I said nothing to that, his logic made sense, I was the lighthouse for ghosts, I wouldn't want a trail of them following me right now.

"Find nourishment, we leave in ten minutes. I suggest you take enough for the trek tomorrow. It'll be strenuous."

"Ten minutes? That isn't enough time."

"Then I suggest you get moving. Tomorrow is a big day for the both of us" He said over his shoulder, I just turned and picked up a make shift sling bag and begun packing it with food. I seriously hate that guy, I glanced up the path that we had emerged from, imagining Ethan stepping through the trees. Please hurry Ethan...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 40

After what I felt was two minutes Akil called me, we weren't going to stay in the village, we were going to hike through the night, so that he could get this thing started.

The hike wasn't easy and it was mostly uphill, it made me wish I had taken more water, maybe one of the smooth sticks that had been lying abandoned on the ground as a walking stick. The wet ground and overgrown vegetation didn't make it any easier, I was just thankful that we didn't have the sun baring down on us as we walked, although the sounds that emanated from the thick jungle helped me keep pace with Akil's long legged strides.

The sun was rising and after the village thing, he had sent the inks back to wherever they come from. My feet were hurting, I could actually feel the blisters forming.

"Can we rest for a few minutes?" I asked trailing behind.

"No."

"Why?"

"Because I said so."

"I need to rest. We've been hiking at a grueling pace all night. I'm going to die in the next few hours, can I at least have this few minutes to rest?" I said, my exhaustion making me irritable and moody. I noticed a fresh water stream and walked over to it, bending to feel the cool water.

"Mmm... if you put it that way..." He said stopping and looking as if he was thinking about it. I put my bag down and was about to sit on a nearby rock when he said, "No."

"What! No? Well tough, I'm going to sit here anyway and if you want to go on, you're going to have to carry me." I said, dropping my butt onto the rock and felt the instant relief. I took my shoes off and wiggled my toes. I was glad that I had worn sneakers otherwise the damage to my feet would have been far worse.

"What do you think you are doing?" He asked looking at me like I had just lost my mind.

"I'm resting my feet." I said and put my feet into the water and sighed loud.

"We're nearly there. We're about a couple of hours away. You can rest once we arrive at our destination."

"Only a couple of hours left to live. Yippee" I said sarcastically, when my words hit me... I only had a couple of hours left to live. I felt like I was cheated in some way, to die so young, with everything set before me, I had never though I took life for granted, but now looking back, I should have done more, should have... lived.

"Where will I go... once I'm dead?" I asked, my morbid thoughts making me wonder what I had to look forward to.

I heard him sighing and then he sat down next to me on another rock, "It's better in the other world. This one is filled with disappointment and heartache, a lifetime of needless suffering and hardship. In the world you're intended to be, where you should have been, it's filled with happiness, contentment..."