Chapter 9

(Recap)

“So, Anna wanna watch some cartoons with me?” I asked hoping to cheer her up. She smiled and nodded. I made space for her next to me and patted the space to allow her to sit next to me.

We watched cartoon network and I started to drift off. When I woke up, Anna was gone and my mom was back from her tests. The TV was on some talk show, but it seem that she was really watching it. She looked like she had something else on her mind.

“Hey mom how did the tests go?” I asked as pulled myself into a more comfortable position.

“It’s good. The doctor said that it hasn’t spread.” I nodded. I hadn’t failed to miss that there had been no progress and the disease was still eating away my mother’s body.

After that we avoided the topic, like avoiding it would make everything better, but sometimes it was just better to pretend that she wasn’t sick.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Chapter 9

The week seemed to go fast, Anna visited my room whenever my mom went for her tests, leaving just before my mom got back. Vicky, Van and even Kyle visited every day, keeping me up to date with the latest gossip as well as bringing me some of my homework so that I had something to do while I was stuck in this place as well as to keep up with my school work but Ethan and his cousins never came back and soon the week in the hospital was over and I was discharged, with a sick note that put me off another week from school. Vicky and Van were there to pick me up and take me home. They both volunteered to stay with me until I got well enough to go back to school. They would help me pick Lily up and with the household chores.

I kissed my mother bye while she was in her bed, she wasn’t allowed outside, so she was a bit sad she couldn’t see me off. I asked Vicky and Van to meet me at the car, I needed to say bye to Anna. I walked to the nurses’ station and smiled at the nurse behind the counter,

“Hi can you tell me where Anna Elizabeth Heart’s room is please.”

“One moment dear.” Then she started typing like she was updating her facebook profile or something. She looked a bit confused and said without looking up from the screen,

“Sorry dear there seems to be-“

“Psst, Violet.” I turned towards the person that was calling my name and I could see Anna standing just at the entrance of the hallway. I smiled at her and looked at the nurse.

“Thank you I think I found her.” I walked over to Anna with a smile on my face. She smiled at me and then she saw my bag and my casual clothes and her face fell.

“Are you leaving?” She asked on the verge of tears. I bent down to her and wrapped my arms around her,

“Ya, I’m afraid so kido, I’ll come back and visit you.”

“You promise?” She held out her pinky to me, her lip trembling a little and I smiled at her and latched onto her pinky with mine.

“I promise.” She looked like she brightened up a little.

“Take care kido. You’ll get better in no time, just you wait and see.” She gave a sad smile and I ruffled up her hair, as I stood to leave. She hugged me again and I hugged her back, then quickly she stepped back and walked back into the shadows of the hall, back to her room. I stared after her for a while after she disappeared around the corner. She looked so sad and alone, kind of lost, with Tedster dragging behind her.

“Violet! Come on, why are you just standing there?” Van was calling at the entrance of the hospital.

“I’m coming.” I said, but I doubted she heard me, I turned towards the door to leave but just before I walked through, I turned back and I looked over my shoulder at the empty hallway.