Chapter 4

(recap)

I heard Lily’s tiny voice call out, “Violet the hero is close to the tower, the princess is going to be saved.” I smiled at her excitement and walked over to my mother’s bedside. I leaned down and kissed my mother’s cheek and gave her a sad smile and held onto her hand.

Speaking to Lily as I sat on the other side of the bed, “What did I miss?”

Lily began telling me what I had missed and I just laid next my mom, hearing her reassuring heart beat as well as the beeping of the machines.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~{Chapter 4}~

I skipped school and took off from work for the next couple of days, Vicky and Van visited checking regularly to see if I was okay as well as to bring over my homework. Lily stayed home with me and we spent most of the day at the hospital.

The night my mom got admitted into the hospital, Ethan stayed until midnight, and I offered to drive him home or at least drive back to the mountain to collect his car, but he refused saying that he knew someone that worked at the hospital and he would catch a ride home with him. He looked at me and I wanted to thank him for staying and driving me here, but of course my stupid voice decided that it wasn’t about to work and I just stared up at him, opening and closing my mouth like a fish, blinking up at him like an idiot, when he finally broke the silence he said,

“So I’ll see you at school.” He didn’t attempt to touch me as he turned with his hands in his pocket and walked down the lonely corridor and called over his shoulder, “Take care Ducky.” And then he vanished into the shadows, like he was never there in the first place.

I had missed three days of school and I couldn’t miss anymore as well as missed three days of work. I went to school, dropping Lily at kindergarten, the ride unusually silent, none of us in the mood for chatting and the radio wasn’t playing the best of tunes so we just left it off. As I pulled up outside of school, I saw Van and Vicky rush towards my car. I took a few deep breaths, trying to gather strength to get through the day. I grabbed my bag and closed my creaking car’s door and walked towards them slinging my bag over my shoulder.

“Vi, how you doing? You should have taken the week off.” Vicky said, sounding concerned and I looked up towards the school.

“I’m fine, I can’t miss anymore school without jeopardizing my scholarship.” I gave them a sad smile as we continued to walk towards the school.

We walked in a comfortable silence towards my locker and I grabbed my books and then we turned towards our class. We were all in the literature class together.

“How’s your mom doing?” Van asked

“It’s not looking good, every day she gets weaker and weaker.” And I am forced to watch her slowly dying, unable to do anything to save her.

“I’m sorry-“

“Please don’t.” I said and they nodded and we continued walking in silence. I couldn’t think about my mom right now,