Chapter 45

(Recap)

“You’re cold. Would you like another blanket?” He asked rubbing my arms.

“No thanks, I’m actually getting a little hot.” I said kicking off some of the blankets and then getting comfy within Ethan’s Arms.

Ethan nodded but said nothing. I knew it was a little abnormal, then again what about me at this point was normal. I decided to just let it go and sum up my new body temp to being a part of the New River made Death.

As soon as I closed my eyes I fell asleep, comforted by Ethan lying next to me, I realized that for the first time since being brought back to life that I wasn’t on the run from anything or anyone and that I would never again be in danger. I am one of the strongest beings in existence and killing me would be near impossible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Chapter 45

“Are you ready for this?” Ethan asked

“I guess.” I said and kicked off the wall to land gently on my feet.

For the last few days Ethan had been showing me around the grounds, seen as the last time I was here I had only seen the inside of his room and nothing more. I had met a few of the Reapers that were around as well as some of the ghosts roaming the grounds. Ethan had introduced me to only a few of the reapers, the ones he deemed trustworthy. He didn’t want any rumors to get out about me being awake and having the mark of death before I’m ready to take on the responsibility. He said that I needed time to get accustomed to my new role.

While I was getting to know the place, I had learnt that the ghosts were basically items that D collected and some were trapped here by him as some sort of twisted punishment. Whatever the reason for them being trapped I had soon realized that I would need to set them free and ferry them to their proper destination.

“Good, because Conquest is here and she wanted to talk to you about… er your new role as Death.” He said steering me towards the house.

“Really? And she volunteered to just diverge this information… willingly?” I asked knowing that Conquest would have rather watched paint dry than help me.

“Yeah, I’ve kind of told her that if she didn’t help, then she would have to clean up D’s messes as well as any mishaps that you might make as an inexperienced Horsemen.”

“Thanks.” I said not really meaning it. Seeing Conquest was the last thing I wanted to do, even though I really did need her knowledge on how to run things.

He led me to the door and down the hall, I haven’t walked around this house before so I had no idea where he was leading me, but every often we would come across a ghost and they would bow down to us.

“Why do they keep doing that?” I whispered to Ethan after the umpteenth ghost bowed.

“You’re the new Death.”

“How do they know?”