Chapter 39

(Recap)

"Okay, firstly... that's rude. You can't just speak some lord knows what other language while we're in the car. What's going on? So is he taking her to this Well or not?" Van asked, sounding scared and pissed all at the same time. She glared at me and I was afraid that she would notice the slight sweat that had built up due to my fear.

"Carry on Tommy." I said to Tommy to take the attention off me.

"Yes... he's taking her to the Well of Death. The Hellfire Lake in Pennsylvania is too close to the conflict and would prove more of a challenge with Death so close by, and the Well is the fastest route to the underworld especially to the Forgotten Army." I let out a huge breath because passing through the portal alone could kill Violet, not to mention that the Well wasn't in America... it was in Mexico, more precisely, the Mayan runes and with all those violent deaths and sacrifices there was bound to be a more than a few tormented ghosts around and Violet passing through that part of the world, would attract them like moths to the brightest flame.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 39

Ethan's POV

Driving like two crazies, we should have been worried that we would get pulled over, but the police had other issues on their hands, mainly the increasing amounts of ghosts, which was followed by the increasing amount of crimes that where taking place. Chaos invites nothing but more chaos, unless it is stopped.

"How are we going to get through the boarder?"

"Leave it to me. I can make people see things my way."

"You can glamour?" I asked shocked, because there was only a small few who could do that and to have that ability you would have to be really powerful. I didn't have that ability and I didn't know anyone who does, well until Tommy. I wonder who else might be hiding that extra ability.

"Of course Ethan, I haven't lived this long without picking up a few tricks along the way."

"Do you think that they are safe with your...friend?" I asked

We had left Violet's family and friend with one of Tommy's friends. A mechanic named Ariana, she wasn't a Reaper, but something else, and something I hadn't known still existed.

"They're safe with Arie, she is more powerful than she looks." Tommy said, his expression giving nothing away.

"How long have you known her?"

"For a long time." He said on a sign and I didn't ask any more questions, it looked like he wasn't about to give up any more answers, not to mention he didn't seem to be in a talking mood, not that I was.

We had a lot of ground to cover, the detour to Ariana's place had taken us a little away from Mexico and we had gained an extra two hours in drive time.

Time seeming to slow to a near standstill, the minutes ticked by, and I found myself drifting in and out of my thoughts.

I remembered the last time I was in a large amount of water, it had been with Violet. She looked like a siren in the moonlit water, the moons light glittered and shimmered around her, dancing on her skin. She had crooked her finger with a seductive smile as she called me towards her, she had worn nothing but her under garments, and a playful smile. I had swallowed my fear... well sort of and followed her into the water. That felt like ages ago, and now I would be following her again into a larger volume of water... a bottomless well.

My heart sped up and my hands began to sweat, unbidden the memory of my sister, floating in the swollen river crept into my mind. I closed my eyes blocking the memory, the sight of her lifeless little body floating and instead thought of the first time I had seen Violet.