Chapter 43

(recap)

“Violet this isn’t the time for jokes. Listen to the prick, for once he’s making sense. If you don’t want to be pulled from this ledge, then step aside because I want to.” D said still clinging on, and I though I heard a quiver in his voice.

“It’s too late. The river has already claimed us both.” I said, and a sense of peace washed over me.

I felt my hands slip free and then I was falling, I stared up at Ethan’s face, thinking that I will love him forever and a love so great will carry on into the next life… wherever that may be.

Tommy came up from behind him and pulled him back away from the ledge, just as it broke free and collapsed into the water.

Before my back hit the water I closed my eyes waiting, for it to cocoon me. I felt a few stray drops hit me as D hit the surface and the snake like water reaching out to pull me under and then… nothing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 43

Ethan’s POV

“NOOOOOoooo! No, no, no, no, no, no…” I kept muttering because I couldn’t believe what had just happened. I pulled at my hair as I watched the water reach up to coil around her like a giant python, it pull her into it, turning her into the very water that surrounded her. Every inch that it touched turned to water, until there was nothing left.

“VIOLET! VIOLET!” I screamed at the water, my heart felt ripped from my chest, my throat was raw from screaming. There was nothing I could do to save her; nothing... all I could do was to watch her die.

“She’s gone Ethan.” Tommy said sadness in his voice.

“NO! No she’s not, it wasn’t meant to end like this, she wasn’t supposed to… maybe I can still-“ I said and took a step towards the water, but before I could go any further, Tommy grabbed me and pulled me back.

“You can’t save her Ethan… she’s…. gone. I’m so sorry, but you can’t go in after her, you’ll perish in the waters as she had.”

“The book might-“

“The book won’t help you. It speaks only of Death, nothing of the river.”

“I have to try.” I said glancing back at the waters, the spot where Violet went under.

“Don’t let her sacrifice be in vain.” Tommy said and he was right.

She had sacrificed herself to save me. To save fucking me… I didn’t deserve her life, I have lived more than my share; she should have lived, she had barely lived through one. I should have sacrificed myself not her; she should have lived… not me.

“Why would she do that?” I asked wondering why she would give up something she valued so much for me.

“Do I need to answer that? I think you already know the answer Ethan.” Tommy said looking out at the water.