Chapter 42

(Recap)

“No, no ETHAN!” I shouted as I moved back across the river.

“Ethan’s busy at the moment, why don’t we keep this between you and me love.”

“You asshole. I hate you.” Screamed at him.

“Now Violet, words hurt.” He tisked with a giant smile on his face, as he begun to turn me upside down. The blood rushed back to my head, my hair hung above the water and my mother’s face wafted into view.

“You’re going to feel a slight prick.” D shouted from the shore and then an unseen force slowly tore open my wrists, letting the blood fall into the water. I screamed at the pain, because the skin was literally being torn apart, I could feel it being slowly ripped open.

When the blood touched the water, it did something strange, it caused a sort of vortex instead of a ripple, and the more blood fell, the bigger the vortex got, until I could see the bottom of the River. The ghosts or spirits in the River, moved when the water moved and soon when the bottom was exposed, they stood at the bottom of the water in a circle, staring at the ground as if they were expecting something to happen and I had a sinking feeling what that was.

Once all the water was gone, I was dangling a hundred feet in the air and when my blood dripped onto the bone dry soil below, it split open. The Earth groaned and shook as the earth split wide open, an orange glow could be seen from the crack and I was expecting lava to come spewing up like a fountain and disintegrate me, but what I saw wasn’t lava… it was much, much worse. I saw them…The Forgotten Army.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 42

The Forgotten Army looked terrifying, the giant hole that was caused by my blood, and the mutterings of the ancient book made the hole gape wider every second that my blood dripped into it. It grew as if feeding from my blood, growing bigger as I grew weaker from the blood loss.

The hole glowed a warm orange, but there wasn’t any lava, although the heat that was steadily rising from it was the equivalent to it and the smell… I gagged a few times, nearly throwing up. I chanced a glance down into the pit and caught sight of them as soon as the noxious gas parted like a thin veil.

The riders where covered from head to toe in matt black armour, except for their breast plates which where stained a dark red. I didn’t want to dwell on what the red was, hoping it was just paint because I was terrified enough as it was.

They wore a sort of black Spartan helmet without all the fancy trimmings on top. It was a charcoal black, the sides came to sharp points ending at the chin and there was a middle piece that protected the nose, it looked like an arrow pointing downwards. The helmets hid their faces in shadows only, a light mist could be seen coming from the helmets interior, as if it was cold, but I knew that, that wasn’t carbon dioxide they were exhaling.

Their helmets completely hid their faces, making them appear to be duplicates of each other. Strapped to each of their backs were long broad swords that had a slight curve at the tips, like a saber.