Chapter 5

(Recap)

“I understand man.” They pattered each other on their backs and then the team was talking, and some of the cheerleaders were crying, being held by some of the football players.

“Kyle I’m going inside.”

He nodded and leaned in to my ear. “Thank you Violet.”

I squeezed his hand and smiled sadly at him and walked inside towards my mother’s room.

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 5

For the next week there was this depressing atmosphere in the school. We had a minute of silence for Jason on the football field and then we all placed flowers on the field by his picture after the principal and the coach said a few words about Jason. His funeral was on a Saturday, and the whole school turned up. Jason was a well-loved kid, always joking, never being mean to anyone. He was one of those rare jocks that wasn’t a jerk to the people that weren’t in the popular group, he was always there to make you laugh or just to talk to.

At the funeral his parents spoke about him as well as some teachers and some football players including Kyle. I stayed with Kyle the entire time. He took the loss really hard. Jason was Kyle’s closest friend, and neighbor. They grew up together, went to camp together, they practically did everything together. They were sort of like brothers and right now Kyle needed the shoulder to lean on. I stayed with Kyle the entire time, only leaving him to talk with Vicky and Van. After the funeral, I went over to his house to keep him company. He kept staring at the window to Jason’s room. Their bedrooms were right opposite each other and Kyle told me that they used to sneak into each other’s room sometimes and play video games.

I sat down next to him and just stayed silent, not really knowing what to say.

“It’s so weird. I keep looking out of the window expecting to see him and then I remember.”

He turned away from the window and looked at me,

“Will it ever get better Vi?” I sighed and smiled sadly at him.

“The pain will never go away, but it will fade. Everyone we meet leaves a permanent mark on us and when they leave, it feels like there is a giant hole that will never be filled and no matter how much you cry or scream or lash out, the pain will never ease. But like all wounds it heals and over time it won’t hurt that much anymore and then all that would be left is the scar of the pain that you had once felt.”

He nodded seeming to understand,

“How do you know this stuff?” He asked sniffling a little.

“I also lost someone and I remember the pain I felt when he was ripped from my life, and at first I couldn’t look at anything that reminded me of him, but over time I gradually accepted that he was gone, that he wouldn’t want me to be sad, that he would want me to only remember the good times we had, the laughter… not the pain.”

“I forgot … you lost your dad in that car accident.” I nodded my head and stared out of the window. I heard some sniffing and I looked over at Kyle. His head was bowed down, his hair concealing most of his face. I saw a drop hit his hand in his lap. I reached out and wrapped my arms around him while he cried.

He hadn’t cried at the funeral, and I guess that he just needed to talk to let it all out. After a while his sobs died down and we just stayed together holding one another.

“Kyle?” I pulled away looking at him as he pulled back to look at me,

“Mmm?”

“Are you okay?” I asked still a little worried, because I needed to get home to Lil’s.