Prologue

Hi,

This story is one of a kind. Its a bit slow in the begining but picks up later. So please keep reading.

regards,

Steph :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Prologue

November 25, 1850

The wind outside was howling and the trees in the back yard were scrapping against the window in the kitchen. The rain was coming down so hard, that it sounded like little pebbles hitting the window. Elizabeth was sitting in front of the fire playing with her pink bear mama made her, Mr. Happy, while I was listening to the storm raging outside, worried beyond care for the safety of my parents. The house was in its usual Thanksgiving decorations, littered with the browns and reds of Fall. Mom and Dad went into town to get a turkey for Thanksgiving, saying that they might be sold out by the time Thanksgiving arrived. Glancing at the clock, they should have been home by now, they’ve been gone for nearly four hours now and the town was only an hour’s ride.

“When’s mama and papa coming back? I’m hungry.”

“Mama and papa went into town to get a turkey for thanksgiving, they shan't be too long now. Come on Elizabeth, I’ll prepare you something to eat.”

Elizabeth was only five years old, with her round pink cheeks and curly blond hair and her bright blue eyes, she was the cutest girl in all county. Everybody loved her, and she seemed to make everybody just fall in love with her. With her inquisitive nature and loving smile it was kinda hard not to.

We reached the kitchen and Elizabeth took her usual seat by the counter while I started making a sandwich, made with left over off cuts and some cheese.

“Here ya go ya little scallywag.”

Elizabeth giggled as I imitated a pirate’s voice, placing the plate with the sandwiches in front of her. She was famished, sparing not another second to appreciate the tastey morsel. I placed a glass of milk next to her and walked to the window. It was a mighty force of a storm blowing outside, branches were being pushed around like they were nothin’ but lint or a feather. It was nearly time for Elizabeth to go to bed when she was done eating; I bathed her and tucked her in, placing Mr. Happy under the covers with her. After making sure Elizabeth was asleep before I walked back to my bedroom and collapsed on my bed. My parents weren’t home yet and the storm was getting worse. Maybe they were staying at the inn in town, because it was too difficult to travel back home.

I must have drifted off because I was awoken by the frantic cry of a horse. Jumping out of bed, I looked around, that’s weird, we don’t have any horses on the estate and I’m sure I heard a horse unless mama and papa had returned and that was Betsy, but it sounded as if it was right within the thresthold of my house; shrugging it off, maybe it was just a dream. I glanced down at my watch and saw that it was past three in the morning, I then walked over to the window hoping to see my parents cart in the drive way,  perhaps my parents arrived home while I was asleep and I peered outside. Nope, nothing. The stable door was still open signalling that my parent had still not returned from their trip into town. The wind was worse than before, I could see huge branches flying around like tumble weeds, some of the tree’s were up rooted and laid precariously on their side. I saw Elizabeth’s  favorite stuffed bear, Mr. Happy lying stuck in one of the fallen tree branches, soaked from the rain. What is that doing there; it was in the bed with Elizabeth when I last left her room earlier this eve.