Chapter 44

(Recap)

“Why are you phoning me? If you wanted praise you have come to the wrong Horsemen. I don’t do high fives and back pats.”

“That isn’t why I’m phoning you.”

“And she’s dead… Well you kids had a good run; you weren’t going to make it anyway. This was bound to happen sooner or later. I heard of this club call balls deep maybe you should check them out.”

“She’s not dead.” I said through gritted teeth. I really hate horsemen, they’re insensitive pricks. She had just told me to check out a gay bar right after saying that my girlfriend was dead, how much of an asshole can you get?

“She’s not? Didn’t she fall into the River Styx?” She asked confused.

“Yes.” I said trying to keep my cool, “She’s different… I’m not sure how else to explain it. I think you need to see for yourself.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 44

Violets POV

The first thing that I realized when I came to was that my head hurt, my eyelids were heavy like I haven’t gotten enough sleep, my ears were ringing and I had the worst case of cotton mouth in the history of mankind.

Slowly I tried opening my eyes again and it burned making me shy away from the dim light of the night lamp. I reached over facing away from the light and I accidently knocked it over when I tried to put it out. Luckily it landed on the plush carpet next to my bed and it hadn’t broken so I reached out again and this time successfully switched it off and put it back on the bed side table.

Slowly I swung my legs out of bed rubbing my burning eyes, allowing my legs to dangle off the side reminding me of when I was younger and my mom used to wake me up to get ready for school.

My ears still rung and the room felt like it was spinning but I managed to focus my vision enough to see that I was no long by the river. I was in a large room, decorated in earthy colors with only the bare necessities.

I slowly stood and walked towards the window; I stumbled a bit, as if I wasn’t use to walking and discreetly peered outside at the moonless night.

As soon as I saw the Death statue as well as the hundreds of ghosts roaming the grounds, I knew where I was. I was at Ethan’s house… what am I doing here?

The ghosts however seemed different, like they were more … real, more vibrant than I last remembered them and they seemed to glow more. There were some that were brighter than others but they all had a shine to them that I don’t remember seeing before. The light around them swirled and danced, sometimes mingling with other ghosts as they either chatted or passed each other by.

I could pick out details about them that I couldn’t before, like the wrinkles on certain faces or the freckles that dotted the cheeks. The first thing that struck me was that I could even see that small detail from this distance and that the ghosts had details like that.