Chapter 38

Hi All,

So it's winter here in South Africa and I have been having trouble connecting to the internet lately, the storms we've been having had knocked out a tower. So I've been sitting here like it was the stone age, but good news we had electricity, so I just kept on writing.

I hope to post the next chapter really soon, if the weather permits, so please just be patient with me during this time. This is like the fourth time I'm trying to upload, so here goes nothing...

Thanks again and enjoy :)

Steph

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Recap)

"I don't know, we'll just have to wait and see." I said from my perch on the floor in front of the door.

"Violet, you're injured." My aunt said, rushing over to see how badly that thing whatever it was raked me.

"Lily, get me that first aid kit over there." My aunt ordered as she looked at my ankles. They hurt more now than when it had first happened, maybe because the adrenaline was most probably wearing off.

Lily came back, first aid kit in tow and my aunt was about to start cleaning it when Van said shakily,

"Violet something's happening with the door." I turned towards the door and the black smoke that dragged me was seeping through from under it, and building up.

"I thought this room was supposed to be safe." Van said stepping away from the door.

"I thought so too." I said as I watched the smoke seep through. What are we going to do now? The room was a dead end, no window, no back door, not even a sizeable air vent. What is D going to do to my family once he gets in?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 38

Violets POV

"Violet, What the hell is that?" My aunt asked me, I wanted to say it was D, but then it occurred to me that D never moved like that, I've only seen Reapers use that smoky way and it wasn't Ethan because that thing clawed the living hell out of my ankle, but then again, I hadn't spent much time with D to make that call so I still wasn't sure what or who that was.

"I-I don't know, whoever it is, it's not a friend." I said to Aunt Carry and motioned with my head towards Lily. She nodded and rushed over to her; holding Lily protectively behind her, as I slowly dragged my butt off the ground. Van was next to me in seconds helping me up.

The thick black smoke started to rise, the symbols and salt filled walls doing nothing to protect us against this new threat. Ethan had said that the salt walls were for the inks and the symbols for the Cecidit, so if he was right then whatever was pouring through the door, wasn't any of those, it must be a Reaper or D, but what if the salt and symbols weren't working and the thing now breaking into our only sanctuary was one of those monsters? I'm going to give myself a head ache trying to figure this out.

The smoke rose up until it seemed to take over the space in front of the door and then it started to solidify taking on a form of a man. Van went for a discarded pipe, but before she could get hold of it, a broken voice muttered, "Ah, ah, ah... you won't be doing that again." Then the pipe lifted off the ground and whacked Van over the head knocking her out. The pipe flew away out of reach before I could think of grabbing it.

"Van!" I shouted and raced over to her side to see if she was okay.

Her eyes were closed and she had blood running down the side of her face, I felt for a pulse and breathed a sigh of relief when I felt a steady heartbeat, just unconscious. She's going to have a killer headache when she wakes up.