Chapter Twenty Two

Karlie's P.O.V

The car ride to the airport on the morning after Aubree's party was a slow trip, it seemed that no matter how badly that I wanted to go home and forget about the last few days life just seemed to move slower and slower. It felt like London was mocking me, mocking me for believing that it was possible to have a future with someone who understood me, understood my life and that some days I literally would have to pack up and leave but that chance was gone now because I wasn't prepared to play second fiddle to anyone or be the butt of a joke because I kept my relationship quiet. I had already decided at 3.00am this morning that if I don't hear from Taylor at some point in the next few days I would assume that she chose to continue with the match-up between herself and Ellie's friend. I really couldn't care less about what Taylor choses to do with her personal life but it still hurts. I know that I will see Aubree from time to time but I know that for now I need to limit my time spent with Taylor. It's the only thing to do that is right.

Twelve hours later and one stop in Chicago I'm finally dragging myself out of the taxi in front of the house I grew up in. It's comforting to know that no matter where I travel to across the world I can still come home and unwind if I need too, and after London I definitely need to chill for a minute or two. The minute I'm out of the car two sets of arms meet me and I'm squished between my little sisters who are chatting non-stop but die to my extreme jet lag I can no longer comprehend what anyone is saying. "All right girls off her; you know how she gets when she flies long trips." I feel the arms remove themselves as the twins run back inside gossiping about how within a week I'll be on TV and they will be extremely popular at school once more. I smile at the thought that at least they are not made to feel weird because I model across the world for many brands that they wear and their friends wear. Luckily no one seems to mind and people forget about my job but as I look into the eyes of my mother who I can feel assessing me for long term damage from a few days in London I supress my feelings but not quick enough. "Oh Karlie..." she states as she opens her arms and I fold into them like a version of my ten year old self. "Mom, I messed up..." I state as she shushes me and we begin to walk inside, her guiding me. "You didn't mess up Karlie." She states as we make it inside and instead of going into the lounge mom guides me upstairs to my childhood room. Nothing has changed in the house and because I haven't been home in years since moving to New York I know that mom and dad had been planning on changing my room and converting it to a spare room for guests because Kristine's room is already the space where dad has his new office when he works from home. The minute that I walk in I see that it's not all that different, except that there is now a large queen sized bed in the middle of the room. But the same bedside lights are there and the chocolate coloured walls are still there as well. I breathe in as mom moves us towards the bed. "Have a nap Karlie." She states pulling the covers back as I kick off my Nikes before climbing into the bed, she covers me and looks me dead in the eye and says, "We'll talk later." I nod and close my eyes knowing that before she even leaves the room I will be asleep, the weight of London lulling me to sleep where dreams of blonde hair and blue eyes cast shadows in my mind.

The slamming of a door near me wakes me up from a dead slumber as I roll over and see the familiar walls of the house I grew up in. Sitting up I hear a creak and know that someone just came in, turning to the door I see mom standing there, "mom." I state as she nods and closes the door before coming and sitting down next to me as I hug my knees in a similar fashion to how I used to as a kid. "Tell me Karlie how did you mess up?" I look at her and then look away.
"I made a mistake mom, I don't know if I can fix it." She lays her hand on my knee and I fight the urge to push it off but I know that she is only trying to help me. "What happened in London Karlie?" she questions as I take a deep breath and begin to explain everything that happened before London between Taylor and I, even explaining how Selena and Ellie acted that day in New York when we all met Aubree. I think my mom could understand but when I began to explain about the three year contract I could see the words changing the way she thought about Taylor. "Please don't think that Taylor is to blame, because she's not mom." I state defending her.
"How can you say that Karlie, she led you on and gave you access to her daughter," my mom faltered and it was in that moment I acknowledged how far she had come to accept that she really messed up with trying to force me to marry Josh. She had called me before I came home and apologized for acting the way she did and asked if there was any way that I could ever forgive her and the minute that she apologized and asked for forgiveness I reneged because she's my mom and I need her more than I think sometimes. "Mom, trust me it wasn't just her fault and I can't blame only her." I state as mom looks at me. "My mistake was that I fell for her, I fell I love with my best friend mom and the only thing that makes it worse is that she's about to go into beard dating for the next three years to a guy who is a friend of Ellie's. Ellie told Taylor that day that she claimed Aubree 'ruined Taylor's life' that Aubree had ruined Ellie's plans and I worry that because of me pushing her she is getting into danger but I can't explain that without telling her how much I love her. Which will only push her away," I state in one rushed sentence as mom sits there in shock and I realise what I just said. "You love her?" she questions.