Chapter Twenty Nine

Taylor's P.O.V

The moment I see Aubree holding her giraffe is when it hits me as to how much Aubree means to Karlie and how much Karlie means to Aubree. Every night after I've finished letting Aubree eat her dinner off her highchair Karlie quickly snatches her up, not even caring about the smashed vegetables that will stain her shirts and takes Aubree off for her bath. Usually by the time I get to Aubree after the kitchen is clean she and Karlie are both soaked and the bathroom looks like a lake but one look from Karlie or Aubree sends me melting with their large grins and Aubree's giggles as Karlie tips cups of water over her head as Aubree squeals and says, "again, again, again..." this goes on for what seems like hours until Aubree begins to yawn and it's then that I always hand Karlie her towel and watch Karlie take Aubree out of the bath, hand her to me and start to clean the bathroom. We have a schedule, I then take Aubree and change her in her nursery and start to rock her gently which is when Karlie comes in with her night time bottle and kisses her forehead before returning to finish the bathroom and then going downstairs. I then spend the next half an hour with Aubree as she finishes her bottle and I rock her back and forward before placing the sleeping toddler in her bed. "Night, night princess Aubree. I love you." Then I head downstairs where Karlie is usually scrolling through Netflix trying to find a movie we haven't seen yet. I sigh and look at Aubree before she stumbles towards me and I scoop her up. "Mama..." she coos before cuddling into me, I turn to Tree and say, "I have to go Tree. I need to talk to Karlie." Tree nods before leaving after making me promise to call her later and let me know if we still want to keep our relationship a secret. I nod knowing it's the only way Tree will leave and once the door closes I take a deep breath and walk upstairs.

Pausing at the room Karlie and I had transformed into a playroom for Aubree I place her down inside and watch her use the baby gate to pull herself upwards. I then watch her turn around and stumble her way to the play mat where we have a double up of blocks and she begins to stack them, playing with them. Her faithful giraffe next to her, which makes me smile because it reminds me that Karlie will always be her right hand man. Never letting Aubree down so when I step next door into what has become our shared room, I'm shocked to see Karlie sitting on the bed and a suitcase next to her. "Karlie?" I question. She turns around to face me from the doorway of our bathroom and motions for me to move into the room. I can see she is holding her phone,
"I have to leave Taylor." My heart sinks as I instantly begin to think that it's all my fault.
"It's not you babe, the woman that Josh got pregnant. She was in an accident and they think Josh was in the car too. The male in the car is dead, that was Josh's parents asking if I could fly to St Louis and identify his body." My mind shatters as I instantly think about the woman. It seems like yesterday that Karlie told me the whole story but in reality it was last year when we had become friends, she didn't believe that it was right for us to have secrets from each other despite the fact that we both kept it a secret from each other as to how much we loved each other. "Well I'll go with you, Aubree and I both. You need us." I watch Karlie sink onto the bed after being next to me and say. "Look, I know that you need to sort things out with Tree and I need to sort this out for Josh's parents. We both need time to think, this is that time babe." Karlie states as I look at her, feeling the tears already beginning to form. "So this is it. You're walking away from me, from us?" I question as Karlie rushes to stand and move towards me. "God no, but we need time to figure out what we want. It's not just you and I in this equation. You have Aubree to think about." Karlie states and I nod knowing she is right. I have to think about Aubree, but I want to be selfish and think about me too. "But I need you,"
"You need time Taylor. Time to figure out who you are and what you want. I already know I want you but you need to be on the same page otherwise we will always be going back and forward." I go to say something more but she pulls me close and kisses me deeply, I can feel my heart fluttering as if it's telling me how much I want her and how much I need her. "But Karlie..." she caresses my face. "I know but this is what we need." I watch her pull away and grab her suitcase. "I'll call you." I nod stupidly believing what she says but deep down I know she means that I can call her. "What about Aubree?" I see Karlie smile and I watch her walk out of the room, gesturing for me to follow her. I see her stopped outside the playroom and Aubree rushing to Karlie as Karlie calls her name. "I'll miss you my big little girl." She states tickling Aubree and making her squirm.
"We'll both miss you." I state as I watch her lower Aubree back into the room after peppering her face with kisses. Enough to last a lifetime or at least a week. "I know you will, but it's what I have to do." I nod allowing her near me and when she comes close to my face I feel her warm breath on me, making me want to drag her back to the bedroom and make love with her until she's too exhausted to move but I don't, I'm frozen. "I'll be waiting for your call." She whispers as she places a last kiss next to my ear. I shiver in anticipation of how dirty and sexual it sounds but mostly how full of love it sounds. "I'll make that call." I state as she picks up her suitcase, presses one last kiss to my lips and blows a kiss to Aubree before heading downstairs. The moment the door closes my heart breaks and I tumble to the floor my head awash in memories and emotions I haven't felt in the longest time.

Karlie's P.O.V

Walking out of the apartment is the last thing I ever thought I may have to do. Although I lied to Taylor I know in my heart that we love each other and hopefully one day she will forgive me. But for now I'm needed in St Louis. The moment I pass security and Paul looks at me I hand him a letter. "Post this for me?" I question, he takes it and looks at the address. 'Tree Paine' looking at me confused he nods, "of course, is it urgent?" I nod and he hands it to Sean,
"Take it to Tree. Urgent." Sean nods and looks at my suitcase.
"Is she okay?" I shrug.
"Not now, but she will be soon. None of you can tell her the truth, not yet. She has to decide if I'm what she wants on her own. Hopefully that letter will explain it to Tree. Please take care of my girls." I watch them both nod and then Paul reaches out and hugs me. "Be strong Karlie." I nod and step backwards towards the footpath where a taxi stands waiting and the second I step into it I turn my phone off and say. "JFK Airport please." He nods and the last image I have of New York is the building where my life changed. I press my forehead against the glass and pray for the strength and courage that I will need upon reaching my destination. 'Please god.'

Please note, from now on the chapters will be in Taylor's P.O.V and Tree will have a P.O.V every now and then the same as Taylor's parents. Therefore chapters will be slightly shorter. I applogize for putting this up late, I got carried away with uploading my Kaylor One-Shot 'Fear' and forgot about this one. Have a great day/night.

-Hannah xx