Chapter Thirty One

Taylor's P.O.V

High off the feeling of the successful concerts in Tokyo I fly home to my princess eager to see if she has changed at all in the five days that I've been gone. Originally Aubree was supposed to come with me to Japan but a high fever two days before so that quickly changed my plans to take her with me. I knew it was too much to rely on Tree to take care of Aubree backstage and I would be exhausted so it made sense to leave her at my parents place so she could be comfortable and keep warm. My mom had been taking pictures of her and updating me the entire time I was away but I'm a mother so I'll always worry about my baby. But now sitting on the plane back to Nashville with Tree typing away on her laptop, I shake my head and focus on scrolling through tumblr before shutting off my phone and watching a few episodes of Grey's Anatomy and after that the flight moves quickly and it seems like only minutes before the plane is landed and I'm disembarking and being put into a waiting SUV to head to my parents.

The moment I step inside the house I hear a fit of giggles erupting from the kitchen area, the moment I step around the doorframe and poke my head in the kitchen to see my dad and Aubree playing in sink full of bubbles obviously left over from my mom doing the lunch dishes earlier. I watch Aubree put her hands in the water and bring up a handful of bubbles which makes me laugh as she then throws them at my dad. I feel someone next to me and when I turn I see my mom with her phone out snapping pictures. Aubree tries to do the same thing again but my dad swipes bubbles onto her face making mom laugh out loud and alerting Aubree to an audience which she turns around and grins for. The image of her grinning at my mom and I makes me think about Karlie and my heart skips a beat as I feel my face fall. "Mama, mama..." Aubree shrieks as my dad lifts her down and she stumbles towards me in an awkward run. "Aubree, Aubree..." I say back to her as I lift her up to sit on my hip and she snuggles into me. I look at my mom who has moved to my dad and they are setting up to make coffee, "how's she been feeling?"
"She's been okay, her fever broke a few days ago like I said on the phone a few days ago. She's been good since then." I nod and continue to rock Aubree until the coffee is ready and then I set her down and I expect her to go off and play but instead she walks off and gets her giraffe from the seat in the kitchen and comes back to settle by my feet as I talk to my parents. It takes her less than ten minutes to get sleepy and begin to try and crawl up my leg. "She hasn't had her nap yet." Mom states as I place my cup down and pick Aubree up, noticing her wet diaper. "Okay, give me a few then." Both my parents nod as I carry Aubree up to the room that she uses when she's here and the moment I lie her down to change her diaper she begins to get sleepy which makes it easy to get her to go down. It's not that cold in the room so I leave her in a pair of striped leggings and a singlet because she will end up wrapping herself in her blanket.

As I watch Aubree fall asleep with her giraffe I notice how much she has grown since I first adopted her after that fateful night in the café. I still find it strange that no one has ever noticed her being papped or noticed that their child was not in the same place they left her. The moment that I reach the bottom of the stairs and I'm about to turn and walk back to the kitchen my phone buzzes to indicate a incoming phone call. 'Tree' flashes on the screen. "Hey Tree," I state answering the phone and walking back into the kitchen. "Taylor, a situation has emerged." I freeze and my parents turn and look at me. "What's that Tree?"
"I received a call from your lawyer today and Aubree's parents have filed paperwork for custody to be returned them." My blood cools instantly.
"Are you for real? Like being serious?" I hear her pause and then she says in a quiet voice.
"I wish I was joking but I'm not. I'm sorry. We're being summoned to court in New York in four days' time." My mind whirrs as I fall into my seat, my mom instantly reaches for me and my dad takes the phone that almost falls from my hand and puts it on speaker. "You there Tree?" He questions as Tree confirms she's still there and continues to talk as my mind turns over and ultimately begins to think of the worst case scenario in which I would be forced to return Aubree to her parents despite the fact that they left her in a café and haven't been in contact for more than a year. I can't help but get petty as I think about all the times I've held Aubree as she cried, the shots she's had to get and the late nights we've had together trying to settle her down so that she can have a decent night's sleep. Deciding to tune into the conversation I hear Tree talking about them and their names are Renee Long and Tommy Miller, they are both now twenty and felt at the time that they couldn't provide for a baby, I begin to ask questions such as "what qualifies them now to take care of her," but Tree doesn't have an answer she suggests that I wait until the court meeting in New York and ask the questions then. We talk for another few minutes before hanging up and I sit down with my parents and we make a list of all the things that I've been able to provide and do with Aubree over the past few years and I realise halfway through that all the things that I've done don't really matter because they are her real parents not me. What I have to say doesn't really matter at the court session and that hurts me more than anything.

Aubree's room at Scott and Andrea's that she shares with Taylor: