Chapter 20

Zack's POV:

After what happened in the parking lot, I didn't want to go back to the apartment; I just wanted to stay alone and think about everything without being interrupted by anybody. However, the phone's ring got under my skin since I hadn't even finished my thought and I was already interrupted.

"What?" I answered the phone without checking the caller's ID.

"Hey did you miss me?" A girl's familiar voice replied at me but I couldn't figure out who was she.

"Hein?"

"Hey, I can't believe you forgot me Collins" The girl snapped at me "Maria will probably kill you"

As soon as she spelled Maria's name, I slapped myself mentally for my stupidity, 'how could I forget Maria's cousin?', Anna; she would probably hunt me for days because of it. Therefore, I cleared my throat and acted like nothing happened.

"Hey Anna" I rubbed the back of my head awkwardly "I'm sorry, I haven't checked the caller's ID"

"Ouh, you're with your wife, aren't you?" She started blabbering like usual "You're busy ha"

"No, I'm alone, heading to the penthouse, what about you?" I asked her to divert her attention to something else.

"I'm going there too, I'm twenty minutes far"

"Good, we'll meet there then" I looked at my watch then back at the road "Hey, I have to hang up" I told her since I was sure that Nadia would call me and I had no mood to speak with her.

"Great" She stated before hanging up.

As soon as she hanged up, I turned off my phone because I didn't want to talk to Nadia, since running away like that, only meant that she didn't care about me like I cared about her. Moreover, I decided to go to the penthouse because I needed some space to think and figure things out.

The penthouse belonged to grandpa, my mother's father; we used to stay there during holidays, it has two flours and a beautiful roof garden that mom took care of even when we were in our house in Washington by hiring a gardener to check it every two days for more than five years; then when she died. Sarah decided to take care of it herself.

If we hadn't interacted with Col in the parking lot, I was going to take Nadia to the penthouse; I was willing to show her a part of me that not a lot of people knew, I wanted her to see that I trusted her and hopefully she could open up with me about what happened with Col the night before, but it was too late since nothing went like I planned for.

I didn't want to go to meet Anna immediately since she would blow my cover in a matter of a second and I needed to calm down first and waste a little bit of time, therefore, I stopped in the first coffee shop which came to my sight and bought dark coffee.

I took the farthest table in the coffee shop since I had no mood to engage with people and I wanted to stay alone for few minutes, knowing that Anna wouldn't leave me alone even if I wanted to thus why I had to take advantage of every peaceful minute I could get.

"Ten minutes only" I sighed at my watch, pushing aside the now empty cup of coffee and putting money on the table before I stood up then headed to my car, feeling a serious headache, an ache which wouldn't go even if I took pills.

/*I'd suffer*/

I rarely had headaches but when I did, they managed to get under my nerves, and nothing could help me to ease the pain except a massage, my grandma's; she was an expert and the only one who could help me but I couldn't address her at that moment, not like that. Therefore, I drove in annoyance until I reached the entrance of the apartment complex, thinking of ways to dismiss Anna later.