chapter 29

Chapter 29:

Zack's POV:

      Clutching the steering wheel tightly, I turned my head and looked at Nadia, whose face was a mixture of shock and disbelief, like she was shocked of what I just uttered, which left me in a position of confusion because I didn't say anything wrong, I just told her that I was taking her to my little secret.

What had gotten to her?!

       Pushing all of my doubt to the back of my mind, I smiled genuinely at her, repeating to myself that nothing was wrong and that everything was okay. I looked at the road ahead of me, and thought of what I was about to do, I was showing Nadia the real 'me' and everything will be displayed on the table.

      As the last turn of my destination came to my sight, flashbacks of my memories came back rushing to me just like every time I had been there before. How mom and I, used to buy all sort of gifts and go there, how I used to love the way kids looked at me with new hope in their eyes, and most importantly, the happiness that consumed mom whenever a kid approached her with a genuine grin.

      Nevertheless, it was all in the past, and there I was, proceeding my tradition with mom, with Nadia, who just found her own place in my heart. I was really losing my mind because I was starting to relate everything to Nadia, and it's driving me insane, in a good way.

      The moment I parked the car in the parking lot reserved for visitors, Nadia turned in her seat and looked straight at my eyes, with a puzzled expression covering her face and asked me "What are we doing here?"

"I told you that I'm taking you to my little secret and here we are" I gestured at the building in front of us.

"By why is it a little secret?" She questioned, curiosity evident in her voice.

"You'll understand once we enter" I winked at her, mischievously.

"Okay let's go" She stated, opening the car's door.

      I locked the car and reached for Nadia's hand, tugging her beside me as we started walking toward the entrance of the building. I knocked on the door since the hours of visits were off, and I personally took the permission from the head of the orphanage to spare them a visit, and she accepted right away, knowing that I was always one of their regular visitors and donors.

      After few seconds, we heard the sound of heels from the other side and soon enough, the door burst open, revealing Mrs. More, the head of the orphanage; she was a fine lady in her late fifties, she took care of the orphanage after her husband died ten years ago and she retired after it.

I guess she found her comfort in young children.

"Hello Mrs. More" I smiled at her but before she could answer me, Lily and James, came running toward us, but instead of greeting me like usual, they both hugged Nadia's legs, chuckling.

"Oh my god, Nadia is here, I told you, she'd come" Lily jumped up and down in her spot.

"Yeah, she would never forget us" Jams lifted his head and addressed Nadia "What took you so long?"

"I was kind of busy, I'm sorry" She pinched his cheek, lightly, making him giggle.

      I stood there frozen and quite shocked at the children's reaction when they saw Nadia. 'How did they know her? Did she know the orphanage? And if she did, it'd mean that she knew the place we were at all along, but why didn't tell me earlier? What was I missing?' I questioned myself as I stood there, watching the scene in front of me with curiosity that about to take the best of me.