Chapter 23

Chapter 23: 

Nadia's POV:

'Why's my head throbbing too much?' I wondered as I blinked several times, trying to get used to the lights. 

"Are you okay?" A familiar male's voice echoed in the room but his voice seemed distant and muffled in the air "Nadia, how do you feel?" 

        I stared at the white ceiling for few seconds before I dared to turn my head in order to face the source of the voice. The moment I turned my head, Zack's stressful face greeted me with a weak smile and furrowed eyebrows while has sitting beside me on the bed.

'Wha is he doing here?' I thought to myself as I analyzed my surroundings 'I'm still in the hospital' 

      The events of that days came rushing back to me, from the dinner in Sarah's house to standing up in front of the doctor to receive the new. My eyes started watering when I remembered what the doctor informed me earlier'We're sorry for your loss, we did our best to save him but his heart was already weak when he arrived here' 

     Jake! He wasn't a part of out world anymore, he just died, and I left it happen, I didn't protect him as I said I would, I didn't keep my promise after all, I just left his mother come back to his life and take it away, it was all my fault, the blame is all on me.

       My head hurt so badly but my heart's pain was way stronger, it was pressing on my nerves and I suddenly felt out of breath. I tried to inhale and exhale deeply but my tries were useless and I ended up by being suffocated, drowning under nonexistent water.

"I need to breath, take me out" I stuttered the words, forcefully. 

"Is it okay if I take her out?" Zack asked the nurse who stood beside my bed. 

"It's okay, but be careful" She took my hand and pointed a light at my eyes "I want you to follow the light, how are you feeling?" 

"I need some fresh air" I stated, clearing my dry throat. 

"Okay, your husband will take you to the hospital's garden, can you walk?" She caressed my hand, tenderly. 

"Yes, I believe I can" I answered her, hurriedly. 

I just wanted to be out of there. 

       With that, the nurse helped me to get out of bed, and Zack was by my side in a matter of a second; I stared at him as he dropped to his knees and put the slippers on my foot, he took off his jacket and put it around my shoulders since it was cold outside, then he took my hand and started leading me out of the room. 

'How can he be so nice?' I kept staring at him while he opened the door and stepped out 'But what was is doing there? How did he know that I am in Chicago?' 

      My head pounded a lot and I felt like I was on a roll-coaster so I pushed my questions to the back of my mind,  I laid my head on Zack's shoulder and snuggled into him;  I really missed him and I needed someone by my side for few minutes, I was tired of being strong. 

      Col was outside the room when we stepped out, he hurried to my side and put his hand on my shoulder; I eyed him then lowered my gaze to his hand and remained still for few seconds until he retreated his hand and slipped it back in his pocket.