Chapter 51

Daniel

I wake up alone in my room. It was quiet and cold. I sit up slowly and check my phone. 

3:27 am

Just my luck. I throw my legs over the edge of my bed and slowly walk down the stairs. The air felt heavy and my body heavier. As I walk towards the kitchen I freeze staring at the place the guys and I were just a few hours ago.

"You wanna go to bed Kenzi?" I ask smiling softly.

"I-I'll sleep in the guest room tonight." Mackenzie says refusing eye contact with me.

"Are y- okay..."

I wipe my eyes as I feel a tear slip from my eye.

"Dani?" I hear a soft voice from behind me. I turn to see Mackenzie. I wipe my eyes once more just to make sure I was still awake.

"Y-Yea?"

"Can we talk?" Mackenzie was fiddling with her fingers and staring at her feet.

"Uh. . . are you sure you want to? You kinda seemed terrified of me a few hours ago."

"I know and that's what I want to talk about." I stand silently staring at Mackenzie. She takes in a deep shaky breath before looking at me. There were bags under her eyes and her cheeks were stained with tears. "I'm sorry. It wasn't you, it was me. I-I. . . that dream- nightmare that I had woken up from, it was too much all at once. My mind was replaying every bad relationship I've had or almost had... Lance... Ivan... Gray... Brendan... then you. We were at the beach and when you grabbed me even though I felt safe in your arms, I-I couldn't get over the fact that you were happy with someone else. Someone that wasn't me." Tears were slowly falling down Mackenzie's face. She seemed broken and embarrassed. I don't think she ever wanted to admit to being jealous over me. "I know when we first met I was sending so many mixed signals, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry I played you, I'm sorry I messed with your feelings so much. I'm sorry I broke you. I was just trying to save my own feeling, but I ended up hurting everyone around me."

"That's not true-"

"Yes it is! And you know it is Daniel!" Mackenzie says loudly. Her voice was cracking and it was breaking my heart seeing the girl I love hurt. "Just looking at me now I know you're hurting!" I open my mouth to speak, but close it knowing Mackenzie was right. "I know you don't hate me for anything I did, but you should. I shouldn't've hurt you like that and I'm sorry... but I do love you Daniel. I love you so much. And I don't want you with anyone else." Mackenzie starts crying and I wrap her in a tight hug. She grabs onto the back of my hoodie stuffing her face into my chest. "I don't want you with Aspen, or Poppy, or Stephanie. I want you with me." Mackenzie says through her soft sobs. 

"And I am." I lift Mackenzie head cupping my hands on the sides on her neck. Her soft dirty blond hair tangles in my finger and I smile at Mackenzie. "I am with you. I have been for so long. Mackenzie I will always love you. No matter what you do. You could start dating a different guy right now and I would still love you with the same passion. That's just what you do to me. I'm crazy for you Kenzi, crazier than I've been for anyone else. So stop apologizing, stop crying. I'm not leaving you, not now, not ever. I love you." Mackenzie stares into my eyes a few lone tears still falling slowly. It's like she was trying to analyze me. Trying to see if what I was saying was true. I don't think I could understand what Mackenzie's gone through. She's had bad relationship, after bad relationship, after even worse relationship. Each one probably hurting her more than the last.

She's been through so much and I want to be the one to help. I want her to let me in. 

"I don't deserve you Daniel..." Mackenzie says softly as a tear leaves her eyes. There was a small smile forming on her lips and she blushed.

"And I don't deserve you, but here we are." Mackenzie laughs and my heart flutters. It's been a while since I've heard so much happiness come from her. Mackenzie leans up her toes and lightly places her soft lips on mine. I kiss back feeling her lips mold with mine. I missed this so much. I missed having Mackenzie's small figure in my grasp, and her soft hands running through my hair.

I pull away slowly a few seconds later and lightly lick my bottom lip. "Its been a minute since we've done that." Mackenzie says biting her lip.

"Yea... it has."

"Have you been awake for a while? Like, before the whole breakdown right there."

"Yea, it was hard sleeping. I missed having someone to hold."

"I'm sure Jonah would've let you cuddle with him." Mackenzie giggles. I smile and lift Mackenzie in my arms. She wraps her legs around my waist and her arms around my neck. "Where are we goin'?" I peck Mackenzie's nose and she smiles widely.

"To bed, I'm sleepy." Mackenzie's soft laugh flows through my ears immediately easing my mind.

Mackenzie and I get to my room and I lightly lay Mackenzie on my bed and climb on top of her trapping her body under mine. I kiss Mackenzie's lips before falling beside her. "So are you ready for tomorrow?" I ask as I pull Mackenzie by her waist towards me. 

"To see Logan or to leave you?"

"Both?"

"Sorta... can you come with me?"

"Why?" I ask smiling. Mackenzie places her hand in my hair and slowly slides it through.

"To ease my anxiety... my nerves... everything." I smile lightly and kiss Mackenzie's forehead and pull her close to my chest. Our legs tangle under the blanket and Mackenzie wraps her arms around my torso.

"Of course. I'm here for you baby." I say looking into Mackenzie's ocean eyes. "Thanks Dani..." Mackenzie yawns lightly and snuggles into my body. "I love you baby." I tighten my grip and slowly fall asleep with Mackenzie in my arms.