Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Nate’s POV:

            They finally walked into the diner and Nellie was talking about how she was going to sabotage Michaelann making a friend with any of the members of One Direction. I decided to interrupt her rambling.

            “Nellie. They just walked in.” I gestured towards the big group walking our way.

            “Oh. Thank you.” She changed her expression for mad and vengeful to happy and peaceful. “Hey, guys!”

            “Hi.” They stammer as me and Nellie scooted down the bench so they could join us.

            “What’s the matter?” I asked, since they all seemed miserable.

            “Paul, we haven’t found him.” Zayn sighed. “Neither have the firefighters.”

            “Oh. I am sorry.” Nellie said sympathetically, but it seemed to have a hint of sarcasm.

            “Thank you.” Louis said as a question rather than a response.

            “Well, I am sure he got out safely.” I reassured them, patting the closest member of the band on the back.

            “Wow. We are actually all over the news…” Sarah and Michaelann said together as they watched the T.V.

            “Yeah, it’s been playing nonstop since we got here.” Nellie sighed.

            “Well… We are we going to stay for the next day or so? ‘Cause the sweepstakes are tomorrow and then we leave the next morning.” I started to think aloud.

            “There is sure to be a motel near here somewhere.” Michaelann suggested.

            “But they probably already have no vacancy.” Liam sighed, “Does anyone have family down here?”

            “I do…” Nellie offered, “I think… But I don’t think they’re there.”

            “Well, Ask them.” Sarah urged them, “We need somewhere to stay for just one night.”

            “Okay…” She sighed, “Let me call.” She got up and walked out the door, but we could still see her through the window.

            “So… What is going on with you two?” Harry asked curiously.

            “Um, honestly? I really don’t know.” I said truthfully. We haven’t even really talked about what we were.

            “Interesting. You should talk.” Zayn advised me.

            “I know, I know. But whatever.” I shrugged as Nellie came back.

            “My mom said we could only stay one night, that’s it.” She continued, “I have the key, do you guys want to go now?”

            “Um. I am a bit hungry.” Niall said, “Maybe we could eat something here first.”

            “Sure.” Nellie said. We called the waitress over.

            “Oh My God! Are you guys, One Direction?” The woman tried to contain herself, but you could it wasn’t working.

            “Um, yeah.” Louis nodded.

            “And you're Niall’s girlfriend and the one that’s all over the news?” She continued, pointing to Michaelann.

            “I guess so.” Michaelann said unsure of herself, looking at Niall who was looking away.

            “And you’re the girl who fell in the staircase?” She finished, pointing to Sarah.

            “Sure… Could we order now?” Sarah asked.

            “Oh, sorry, got overwhelmed by this table’s occupants. What would you like to order today?” She apologized.

            “Um, I’ll have a breakfast sandwich and a glass of water.” Niall started.

            “I’ll have a chocolate shake and fries please.” Michaelann ordered her usual.

            “Is anyone else hungry?” Nellie tried to get the show on the road.

            “Um, I am not.” I said. Come on, it’s almost four in the morning, how could I be hungry? They rest of them nodded in agreement.

            “All right. I’ll be back in a jiffy!” The waitress said, quickly walking away. Michaelann started intensely laughing.

            “What’s so funny?” Sarah asked, looking like she was going to pass out.

            She tried to catch her breath, “Jiffy, the definition of the word is a hundredth of a second.” She continued laughing.

            “Okay, Michaelann… It’s not that funny.” Niall sighed.

            “Sorry, I am just really tired. I laugh a lot when I’m tired.” She controlled herself. The waitress definitely didn’t come back in a hundredth of a second; it was more like ten minutes.

            “Here you go!” She said cheerfully handing Niall and Michaelann their food. They slowly ate it, as if to piss the rest of us who weren’t eating.

            “All right, I am ready, Michaelann said, passing her trash towards the end of the table.

            “Same here.” Niall grumbled passing his trash towards the end. The waitress seemed to have watched them finish because she came right over after Niall was done with his trash.

            “All right. It’s on the house. You guys just made my week!” She said happily carrying our trash away. We all got up without a word and walked out.