4

Victoria

The next morning I wake up to my alarm clock going off. I wipe my eyes and turn to see Jack laying beside me.

I crack a small smile, and breathe.

He won't show today, I mentally tell myself. I didn't see the guy with the tattoo ever since I crashed into him yesterday.

Hopefully it stays that way.

And I don't intend on ever seeing him, again.

I can't think of him. Not now or ever.
I jump out of my bed and prepare for work.
After showering and slipping on my scrubs afterward, I plant a kiss on Jack's head, as low snores escape his lips.

Eventually heading downstairs, I grab my car keys and head out - moving fast without the time to think of the dreadful accident.

-

Medical nurses walk past me in several different directions as I scan across the clipboard in my hands.

Right now I have a patient who needs medical attention before going into surgery, and following behind, a young girl who can't tame her vomiting as soon as I finish the first duty.

Predicting the day will be a long one, time surprisingly passes by fast, and hours in, my shift comes to a near end.

But before I can call it a day, I now stand with over a dozen nurses - and the city's detective in the center of the lounge. Our detective gathers our attention.

"On Monday, some of you doctors treated a patient who had to go into surgery quickly due to a bullet wound... but the boy didn't make it. His name was Eddie, most of you probably remember him from the tattoo of a bird across his forearm." I feel my stomach plummet, as I listen.

"I'm here to inform you that a tattoo of a bird like that or exact, showcases your patient or anyone you may come across, is quite surely to be a member of Detroit's most lethal gang." he informs.

Lowly, there are some whispers, and even quiet gasps, to sound around me.

"Now before you raise hands, we don't have much information on the gang yet. Just that they seem to think they get away with stealing a bunch of money. I'm talking thousands, millions of dollars." I glance around when the whispers surrounding me increase.

"Settle down." The detective states. "Sheriff sent me. My duty in this moment is to tell you all of your duty under this roof. No matter the patient, you must assist and do your job properly. If there is another patient with the same tattoo out in the open again, report to the security guard immediately." He directs.

"Thank you for your time, I would very much like it if you spread the word to the doctors that couldn't make it. Enjoy your day." The detective sends everyone a strict nod, before turning to leave the doctors and nurses to ourselves in the medical lounge.

I look around me, my heart hammering from the information I heard from the detective - the same thing my boss told me the day Eddie died - the tattoo represents their membership.

It's times like these when I could surely use a glass of wine back home.

My day was going smooth until I took in that news. Because now I know for sure. Now I know why his tattoo seemed so familiar.

He's a gang member.

Acknowledging I need to, I step out of the lounge and pass the detective who walks the hall. He works for the FBI... if I just walk up to him, and tell him that I saw one of them...

And that I will possibly be working for him any day now....

I shake my head. No - the gang member is not going to show. I can't have that. And I certainly can't be taking this break from saving people but I am anyway. I need to gather my breath.

Once I step outside, for time alone, I stand against the Hospital's brick wall merely to gently throw my head back and huff out a breath.

The night breeze is chilly, as I have sight of the stars above me bright and surrounding the big crescent moon.

Within minutes of bringing myself back together, I straighten up, and take one last deep breath before heading back inside the hospital.

It's time to save lives and not think of that gangster.

---

Thank you for reading, press that star below!

Much love,

xx