13

Victoria

The glass doors close when Rio disappears behind them. I stand in my wine colored scrubs, in silence. Nurses and doctors pass me casually as I breathe out a low breath against the wall of the busy hall. I now acknowledge that I'll see Rio when I get off, and that's my chance to speak to him about all of this - I need to.

I stand straight when I spot my boss walking in my direction, his green eyes flash with a knowing suspicion. "Dr. Smith," I greet, hopefully casual. I just finished speaking with a gang member, who's tattoo was on his neck for anyone to see - and my boss is walking toward me with a knowing expression?! Just breathe, Victoria.

I watch his thick brows raise. "Enough, Ms. Stone. I saw you..." he stops firmly feet way from me. "Excuse me?" I ask innocently.
His green eyes narrow, "You were talking with a patient when you're suppose to be helping in the OR. And that information you're holding should already be inserted in the system." I follow his gaze down to the clipboard in my hands. I quietly exhale a relieved breath. "Oh...I know, I was on my way, actually."

"Well, hurry. We don't have all day, Ms. Stone." He dismisses himself, returning to the OR he came from. I swallow, before pepping my step and reporting to the lab to get this information turned in.

-

I press for the button on my car keys, my car beeps while unlocking the doors. I get in and buckle up before starting the ignition and leaving the Hospital parking lot. I look at the stereo digital clock to see it's 6:30 p.m. I was suppose to finish my shift over two hours ago - but due to my boss needing me to handle the last patient that came in when I was on my way out...
Actually, I'm not complaining. I couldn't be more happier with my job. Sure, I deal with an obnoxious and strict boss but I help people. And I'm glad I have the opportunity to everyday.

Minutes later, I arrive home and pull up into my driveway. I get out the car and make my up the porch, unlocking my front door and pushing it open. I first see the living room - no one present. I guess a piece of me expected a gang member. I walk in and close the door behind me, sliding my purse off my shoulder and sitting it on the kitchen island when I enter for a water bottle. Moments after chugging down the hydration, I plop onto the couch in my living room.

When time reaches seven o'clock, still on the black couch, drowsiness settles in me, my eyes becoming heavy. Just when I'm about to enter in a dark abyss, the doorbell sounds.
It almost takes the last ounce of energy from my body to stand and go answer the front door, but I wipe my eyes, hard, and get up to do it anyway. Opening the tall wooden door to see Rio, standing there with his hands folded, his brown eyes glint with something unreadable. I bite my lip and a breath escapes my nostrils - after my heart begins to race.
Now and today is the time I tell him - I simply can't work for him. I can't be involved with gang bangers and people that are capable of committing crime...which they probably already committed. But I look up to his irises again. How can I tell him that? I know in this very moment he carries the golden gun on his waist below his back.

I gesture for him to come in. I follow behind him after shutting the front door, as the two of us enter the living room. I watch him carefully, when he claims a seat on the sofa. I stand with my arms folded across my chest, firmly. "So,"

"I love this couch," He begins before I can even finish, leaning back comfortably. His long legs are spread apart and he throws his head back onto the sofa. I force my gaze up to his eyes. I raise my brows. "OK...that's great. Now I wanted to speak to you about something..." Suddenly and in a swift movement, he comes to a stand before me, now hovering my mere shorter frame. I look up at him, his eyes lingering on my gaze, then trail down...lower...and lower - until he watches my lips. I stand still close to him, my shoulders tensing.

"What is it? I'm listening." I see his full lips lick for moisture, deliberately, slowly. My lips part before I avert my gaze onto his own. "I..." I clear my throat, gaining focus. "I can't work for you. Not anymore." I finish softly. Rio's gaze flutters up to my own, his brows furrow down at me. "And why do you say that?" I can practically feel him already radiating the anger. "Well...you're..."

Just then, he steps closer to me, his taller frame towering. "I'm what...?" He arches a brow and turns his head for me to face his ear, gesturing for the rest to hear. I open my mouth to talk, but the rest slips from my mind. He is...

"Someone who held their gun up at me to save his friend...someone who pressed that same gun up to my stomach when I first saw him!" I rush. "You..." I decide to enclose the small space between us, my brown eyes searching both of his before continuing. "You showed me the first day I saw you that you were capable of killing me." I merely whisper.

I know he hears me, because not only does his expression say so, but his face doesn't soften- not how part of me believed it would - and instead his jaw visibly clenches.

---

It's the weekend! Have an amazing one, loves.
Thank you for the votes, it surely motivates me.

Vote. Comment. Share.

Much love,

xx