63

Victoria

Throughout the same morning thus far, I have encountered countless medics that have gossiped about Smith's arrest at work. Of course I vestured casual surprised mixes of responses and expressions throughout - for no one knows I was titled the provider as the one who gave the FBI the answers.

Truthfully every word a person spoke of Smith entered one ear of mine - only to exit the other. What's done is done. I did that, and contain not even a sliver of regret, not anymore.

I was taught else methods.

Hours pass fast, and I hurdle through the medical assistants as they pass like rapid whirlwinds. Finally, I reached the end of my shift - and relief showers me when the chaotic halls later become desolate.

Pacing toward the front entrance of the Hospital to exit, I finally check my cell phone after the long day I kept my ringer off. Plunging it out, I glance at the screen only to see 7 missed calls - and 1 single text message from Ann. Hurriedly, I open her message.

Greene was focused on the homicidal case of Jack, now that it's clear he's pushing it aside to track down Rio's gang again. Vic, they never stopped tracing Rio. News released that there's a partner in crime - the gang banger's partner!!! They're looking for you, Vic. It has to be you. WHY'D YOU HAVE TO SPILL ABOUT THE CONNECTION BETWEEN YOU AND THE GANG BANGER?!?! WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?

After my eyes scan through Ann's message, my stomach instantly plummets. I quicken my pace when outside heading toward my car, and immediately begin to dial my sister's number. Pulling my cell up to an ear, I grasp onto the handle of my car door.

"Proud of you, ma." An all too familiar voice causes me to spin on my heels; my breath hitching the second I latch onto the gangster's dark brown irises.

He leans back on his sleek BMW - behind his relaxed frame sits a neatly wrapped box on the hood - his hands in either pocket of his pants as he watches me intently, a smug grin plastered upon his face.

"Rio..." I breathe. I don't hesitate to end the phone call as Ann's number still rings, soon placing my cell back into the pocket of my scrub top afterward.

The gangster's hard jaw visibly clenches, before I watch him straighten to make his way in my direction. His steps are careful, deliberate. I catch sight of his full lips twitch.

He holds my gaze as he keeps making his way over here - and as he nears I notice him trail his finger on the repaired side of my car. I notice the brief, mischievous grin he fails at suppressing.

Rio stops in his deliberate tracks, only inches from my standing frame. I lock my confused gaze onto his own.

"Why are you here?" I ask, hesitantly, softly.

The gangster searches either of my brown irises. He hovers silently, his taller frame towering and lulling - yet the proximity is so dangerous.

"I'm going outta town for a while." He says huskily - his moist lips twitch again as he examines my face. "Perhaps you've already heard the cops have their eyes on us, you and I." He concludes.

Yeah, I did, in fact. Just seconds ago.

My pulse is unsteady when I'm captivated by his comforting aura.

Rio stands so close, his warmth is radiating, consuming my every breath. Focus, Victoria.

He doesn't release my gaze, and instead his deep brown eyes cloud with a longing - before he breaks this deafening silence between our still frames.