58

Victoria

My pulse is quickening by the minute. But I have this under control, I tell myself.

The detective watches me with curious eyes, his green irises specked with suspicion. 
He's going to kill me... I said, between rapid breaths and a shaky tone - I'm overcoming the uncertainty of losing. Because again, I'm in control, and by the looks of it the enemy is fooled by my deceiving, twisted words.

I vestured fear, for who I decided to blame, and the detective is lulled and consumed into my accusation; and I've never been more prepared.

I concentrate on the man before me, my teary eyes locked onto his own.

"Smith." I begin, breathing out his name as if it were the air I take in. "Dr. Neil Smith." I finish. As I sit in front of the detective, I watch him instantly plunge out a puny notepad alongside a pen, before he begins taking note.

Then, his forest green irises flick up to meet mine. He stares at me, a serious and strict expression plastered. "Dr. Smith, as in your boss?" He is sure to question, a thick brow of his arched in bewilderment.

In turn, I nod, and swallow - wiping my tear stained cheeks. "I guess you already did your research on me. He was on my mind when you said the day of the 11th, I just couldn't say it. I didn't want to. He's my boss!" I breathe.

"Why do you say it was him?" The detective points back to business, and he glues his suspenseful gaze onto me.

I take in a low breath before I start. "Because on the 11th, when he called me in to cover Jennifer's shift, he wasn't there. He didn't show the entire day. No one knew where he was, feel free to ask the other nurses. And when he got back, the very next day, his knuckles almost looked bruised, as if he were punching something. And I thought about it more when you said earlier how Jack died; he was beaten to death." I explain, my tone laced with affliction. Forcibly, tears threaten to pour from my brown eyes.

"I found it odd, he looked rough, too. But maybe it was just the stress of work." I shrug in the cold, leather seat. "It's normal to seem that way when under so much work...except for when he missed out on that one day." I add, as some sort of after thought, purposefully.

I fixate my eyes on the detective, Greene, his badge titles. Detective Greene plasters a frown in turn, and adds more onto his notepad.

"Considering Smith is my boss, and when I thought about it, that's why I was afraid to say anything. What if I'm wrong and he finds out I told you about him? Or not to sounds self centered...but if it's him, what happens to my job?" I question, laced with vexation.

Greene fixes his steady gaze on me. I watch him come to a stand, now on his own two feet - he glances down at me. "I'll keep you posted. But Ms. Stone, I'll have those reports on the autopsy by tonight." He confirms, firmly.

In return, I come to a stand, too. And I nod. "Yes sir. And detective Greene?"
In turn he perches a brow in response, and I clear my throat.

"Please, whoever did kill Jack, let them get what they deserve. No one, not even my cheating ex fiancé, deserves to be murdered." I finish, my voice vesturing pain.

Greene's irises glint with a brief flash of pity, before he nods in understanding, and turning to exit the small room. I avert my gaze onto the floor beneath me - avoiding the security camera on the left corner of the ceiling that I already mentally took note one - alongside the cameras behind the reciprocal mirror.

I clear my dry throat, and softly release the breath of relief I held. The questioning is done, for now.

I carefully walk out of the small room, and make my way into the desolate corridor.