19

Victoria

I stand outside, the chilling breeze tangling around my cold face and curling around my uncovered neck. I've taken the steps up to the metal back door of this mysterious place, banged my fists against it, and my heart still hammers as I now look into the dark eyes of the gangster. He stands with his hands in his pockets, in front of me, his dark brown eyes fixated on mine.

"Thought we said it was over?" Rio's full lips tug upward. I suck in a rather calm breath - my heart may be racing, but it's not fear that I feel when he's around. I'm not afraid for what I'm to say. "Jack was rushed into the hospital this afternoon." I begin. I stand feet away from him on the cemented porch, keeping my gaze on his. "Punctured eye socket and severe bruises all around his stomach. I mean, really?"
I notice the gang member smile, the first time I see his bright teeth. Rio shakes his head, the dangerously charming smile still on his amused face. His shoulders move along with his chuckle. "I don't see how this is funny, Rio. You could've killed him..." I state firmly.

He meets my gaze, licking his full lips before taking a step toward me. I stand still and watch him carefully. "Tell me, how did you feel when you first saw him laying there?" He asks, curiously. Rio's brown eyes test mine - seeming as if he's trying to pry something unknown out of me. I narrow my brows, glaring at him. "I knew it was you who did that to him the moment I saw him!" I exclaim angrily. I watch his brows furrow as he watches me intently. "At first I didn't want to believe it..." I add, barely audible.
"You didn't wanna believe it?" He raises his tone, taking another step toward me. The gangster licks his full lips again when his gaze latches onto me again. "Don't expect good from me, sweetheart." He tells me.
Rio sends me a once over.

"And you didn't answer my question." His brows are furrowed, still, as if he's trying to figure me out this time. At this point I can't even figure me out - because I do remember how I felt, when I watched Jack's bruised body lay on the hospital bed for merely half an hour, and it wasn't grief.

I swallow quietly, "What am I suppose to feel, huh? I mean, look what you did to him and-"
I pause when Rio is inches from my face, from the smooth step he took to close the infinite space between us. I can see the hardness of his jaw as it's clenched, feel the warmth radiating from him. I then tense.

"You know exactly how you're suppose to feel. But you don't feel that way, do you?" He questions lowly, the gangster's dark eyes trailing mine - my heart nearly pounding out of my chest. His chocolate brown irises are dark, mysterious, dangerous. I suck in a low breath, our bodies close. Then, I finally speak. "Yes. For Jack I'm suppose to feel upset, and hurt, but..."
Rio's full lips lick for moisture. My eyes flicker down to watch. I freeze.

What was I saying?

I purse my lips, then averting my gaze onto his, searching his brown irises. "...But you said you would handle him, and I didn't stop you." I breathe. "I couldn't."
I watch him grin. "And why was that? How come you didn't stop me?" His husky voice is laced with curiosity. "You knew what I was gonna do, sweetheart. Nah you knew I was gonna hurt 'em." He drags huskily.

I don't want to answer him, for some reason, but he won't stop prying for pieces until I spill and let him hear what he wants. "And yet here you are..." he continues, a flick of light from a light pole reflecting across his dark eyes; his brown irises twinkling a moment.

"Here I am." I breathe.

He watches me intently another moment, then, his lips part. "You let out all this anger, and pretend to be upset about your lover in the hospital, but you're the one that's guilty sweetheart."
I perch a brow, my skin heating up. "How?! What did I do in this?" I yell.
His mere taller frame hovers over me, as he searches between either of my desperate eyes. "How did you feel when you first saw him there, when you saw what I did to him?" He asks again, hardening his jaw.
"Rio..." I begin in a warned tone. His irises glint with excitement, preparation...mischief. "What, Ms. Stone?" He asks, huskily.

My heart still pounds against my ribs. My eyes stay on his own, in preparation to say what I denied...for what I refused myself to say. I softly breathe out the shaky breath I've held. Mentally releasing the anger and accusation I put on him - to only avoid my thoughts on what he did to Jack; for bruising him, for beating him. Then - I firmly, boldly, say the words.

"Thank you..." I breathe, seeing his jaw still clenched, but his full lips curve into a grin.

---

Thanks for reading, loves.

Vote if you enjoyed! ;)

Much love,

xx