17

Victoria

"His name is Rio." I begin the moment my sister picks up on the other line. I hold my cell up to my ear, focused on the road ahead of me as I drive to work.
"What? Who?" Ann asks, confusion lacing in her tone as I hear rummaging in the background over the line.
I sigh quietly, quickly glancing in the rear view mirror to switch lanes before I continue. "The gangster, Ann. His name is Rio." I bite my lip, and shrug although she can't see me. "I just wanted to tell you. I know I haven't had the chance to. And now that he's gone I just-"

"Wait, what do you mean 'gone'?" I hear my sister gasp over the phone. "Is he...dead?" I immediately roll my eyes, "No, Ann. I mean..." I stop myself from telling her about the negotiation. I can't tell her I gave Rio Jack's name, let alone the possibility of something bad happening to Jack because I gave Rio his name. So I lie. "...I mean when I last saw him...he said that would be his last time seeing me. I guess his boys won't need the help, anymore." Guilt boils inside me for my twisting of words, but my sister can't know too much...not with Rio being so dangerous - yet so...so....

"That's a good thing, right?" Ann pulls me from my inner thoughts. "You don't have to put up with him. Now you're...safer." She finishes. I breathe, "Right. Safer." I arrive at the Hospital parking lot and pull in, putting my car in park once I settle in my usual parking spot. "Look, I'm at the Hospital now, I'll try to call you later, Ann. Love ya."
I had to tell her something about Rio. So I gave her his name - in case I ever slip out his name or anything if I ever talk about him - she had to know eventually.
I run a hand through my hair, tired from the lack of sleep last night, and hang up after she responds, "Love you too."

Moments later I rush in my job with my purse, heading toward the locker room to put up my belongings and begin the shift. I'm tired, really tired. But I keep up my pace and begin the shift by helping a young girl who was rushed into the ER just moments after I exited the locker room.

-

Hours in, and my boss orders me to collect a blood tube for the fourth patient we're taking care of. I rush into the usually busy hall, and head in the direction of the spot I pulled Rio off to the side, to talk to him about not making his gangster appearance so noticeable here. I remember his rebellious, confident words. And I let them replay clearly in my mind. Let them see me, darling, he said.

I remember the worry that probably hid behind my eyes - and when he disappeared behind the glass doors at the end of the hall; I almost thought I wanted him to turn back around. But he didn't.

I suck in a low breath, and decide to avert my gaze from the spot in the hall and walk past it, carrying on with my job and heading towards the lab.

After I retrieve the blood tube, I pass the hurried nurses and doctors again, and head back to the patient's room. On the way, I pass the entrance glass doors - medics rushing in a stretcher as the workers make way. It takes me back to when Eddie, a gang member that neither Rio or I ever brought up, was rushed into the ER, but unfortunately didn't make it from the fatal bullet wound. Rio's people really need to stay away from guns.

"We've got a victim who was assaulted," One of the medics call out, pushing the stretcher toward a doctor who takes over. "Punctured eye socket and damage in the lumbar region." I overhear the medic inform the doctor, afterward the medic who I know meets my eyes, and he gives me a wary look. I begin to slow down in my tracks, the blood tube in my gloved hands. Then, the doctor who pushes the stretcher toward the ER glances behind his shoulder - his gaze lands on mine.

I watch the two exchange shared, knowing glances a moment. There's a reason the two of them looked at me. Suddenly everything seems to sink within me, and I still carry the tube as I rush toward them. I run up to the stretcher - the victim not recognizable until I'm close enough.

My heart drops, my brown eyes widen...when I look into the swollen, bruised purple and blue, eyes of Jack's body on the stretcher.

---

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to make that star golden!!

Lots of love,

xx