23

Victoria

"Another vacation?" I hear Ann ask over the line. I sigh under my breath, leaning my back against the wall of the desolate lounge. "Yeah, I need one after everything that's..." I purse my lips, stopping myself from mentioning the gangster. I clear my throat, "...I just...still can't clear my mind of what happened to Jack, Ann." I lie. For all my sister knows is that I quit working for the gang member days ago, and it would kill me if she acknowledged more than what she already knew, if she was ever aware that I lied to her and had been meeting with him all this time...

I push aside my thoughts, and comb a hand through my wavy brown hair, huffing out a tired breath. "I shouldn't be upset, right? I mean, what he did..." I pause when I hear my sister exasperatingly cough over the line, "Erm...I don't think anyone deserves quite a beating like that." She interjects, and my breath hitches from mere guilt, but afterward I hear her chuckle. I let out a humorless laugh in turn, face palming myself. "You're right, of course, sis." I shake my head and crack a smile.
"But look, say a quick prayer for me, I really need this vacation! And I'm highly doubting my boss will allow it..."

"Abby, that's my shirt...wait, put that down!" I hear her shout, her voice booming down the line as she parents her daughter. I smile again, "Look, I'll text you, Ann. Love you!"

"OK," She says, and I, again, hear shuffling in the background. "Laterz hater! Love you too." She ends the call, and I plunge my cell back into a pocket of my scrubs. I walk up to the lounge door, quietly twisting the knob-
The lounge door swings open before I can manage doing so my own self - my boss comes into view. Dr. Smith stands on the other side of the open doorway, and I stand stiffly, mid step. I plaster a huge smile. "Dr. Smith!" I greet. He watches me with a dumbfounded glance, and rolls his green eyes - those pair of green eyes that I can't stand.

"Don't even try, Stone. I'm not really having the best day." He deadpans. Shocker...
I watch him perch a brow in suspicion. "What were you doing in here anyway?" My boss peeks around and behind me. I sigh, "Sorry, I just wasn't feeling right. I'm a bit nauseous and thought I should step off to the side for a moment." I meet his eyes, waiting patiently for him to soak in my words, hopefully convinced. Smith purses his lips, watching me a few more seconds, that is, before he nods understandably, and swiftly moves to the side - making way for me to leave the desolate room. I suppress the relieved breath until the coast is clear, and I watch my boss spin on his heels to exit the corridor. I shut the lounge door he left open, and mentally congratulate myself on succeeding in the first step of calling in sick later. That was close. I roll my eyes and head toward the usual busy hall to get to the ER for assistance.

--

Hours in, my shift finally comes to an end in about 15 more minutes. I pace past the rushed doctors that are caring for patients in the infirmary. Walking down the crowded hall with blurs of white coats and a miscible fashion of colored scrubs, I come across the familiar patient door I visited yesterday. I hesitate, staring at the wooden door a moment longer, before I push it open. I enter the resting room Jack's been staying in. Only to find Jack's hospital bed empty, the thin sheets disheveled. I stop in my tracks, my heart beginning to pound against my ribs. With a clear confused expression, I hurry out the room and locate anyone in a doctors coat.

My brown eyes land on a seemingly stressed doctor, he's in deep conversation with a worried looking patient. His dark hair is ruffled, underneath his hazel eyes are dark, bagged. I try to spot someone else. From the side of my eye I see someone remove the papers hanging outside of Jack's resting room. I turn to see a nurse instead. But still, I take my chance. "Hey," I begin, gathering her undivided attention. She smiles at me. "Have you seen Jack? He was the patient in this room, happen to know where he went?" I question politely, only gaining a frown in return.
"I thought Mr. Attwood said he was able to return home? He said that you told him to get the nurses and help the patient out of bed,"

My brows furrow, "I'm sorry, Mr. Attwood?" I ask, confusion piping in my voice. The blonde nurse nods, "I believe his name was Chris Attwood." She answers. "He said he's a friend of yours. And I figured since-" I interject, but whisper to my own self. "Chris Attwood...?" I shake my head in denial, blinking repeatedly, still confused. "No, ma'am, I don't know a..." ...Chris... Suddenly, my brown eyes widen, and I tense. The dying gang banger that was bleeding out on my kitchen table, Chris?! Why? More frankly, how?! If this is something Rio's up to....
The nurse gives me a worried once over.

"Chris..." I clear my throat. "In fact, I do know a Chris Attwood...sorry to waste your time, ma'am." I spin on my heels, and jog in her opposite direction down the corridor. I look over behind my shoulder, "Thank you!" I shout, and continue my pace. I pass the clock hung on the wall; 4:00 p.m. - Just in time for me to close my shift...and still call in sick. How is this going to be a vacation?! I now have to possibly save the life of my ex fiancé...?!

And where do I find the life of a gang member I saved nearly two weeks ago?!

---

Thanks for reading! Hope you all enjoyed! ;)

Don't forget to put some color into that star below! Next chapter will be up later today!

Lots of love,

xx