15

Victoria

Jack. His name is Jack.

But I'm not telling Rio, I can't. Not if he's asking for a deadly reason...
I won't.
I stand frozen, the gangster's body still feet away from me due to the step he took back after lowering the golden gun from my neck. I want to ask him why, why he lowered the weapon. Why keep sparing my life? But part of me already knows...maybe he feels some sort of sympathy...pity. Ever since he looked over my shoulder at that framed picture of me and Jack...everything in his serious face softened. And now; the gangster wants to know my ex fiancé's name...

I stare at Rio, as he stands patiently, his hands still folded before him. My lips, finally, part. "I can't tell you." I merely whisper. His brows furrow like they did when I told him I can't work for him. "And why is that?" He questions, irritation hinting in his husky voice.
"Because...you'll hurt him, won't you?" I ask, boldly. "That's the only reason you want his name." Before I can even process what he's doing, Rio's mere taller frame lands directly inches away from my face. His brown eyes flick down to meet mine, danger lurking behind them. "What do you think I'll do to him?" He asks lowly. My breath hitches. "I don't know." I search either of his brown irises.

His full lips tug upward. "Well, the question will be nothing compared to what I'll ask you later, darling." He says huskily, close to me. My breathing increases, I feel his chest brushing lightly against mine. "What will you ask me later?" I ask quietly, and he blinks his dark lashes as his brown eyes linger on my lips. "You'll see..." I watch him grin, before his gaze flickers up to meet mine. Then, as if we weren't in any sliver of a conversation, he looks around my living room around us. I watch him examine around while my legs are still against the low coffee table, taking the chance to move past him and go toward the foyer. I fold my arms firmly across my chest, now having space, my eyes never peeling off of the gangster in my living room. He walks around slowly, taking in the photos on my walls, all the way toward my kitchen. My brows furrow when he disappears behind my kitchen wall, and I follow behind him.

"The granite countertops are probably my favorite," I hear him say in a low enthusiastic tone, before I enter the archway and spot him feeling the countertop to my kitchen island in the center. He licks his lips, and I see him shrug. "I don't know, I still really like that couch..." I recall when he welcomed himself to sinking into my black couch in my living room earlier. I shake my head, "Rio, what is that you want?"

"Your ex's name." He answers rather abruptly. I stand in the kitchen with my arms still folded, he stands across the room on the other side of the island - his brown eyes glint with a thin line of patience. I breathe out, "I said I can't tell you. I know what it can lead to."
He frowns a moment. "You really don't believe this guy could stand a fight against me, clearly." He grins, and in turn I roll my eyes. "I just don't want you hurting him, or scaring him," Before I can finish, Rio walks up to me, his gaze piercing through mine. "Why? He hurt you." His brows draw together, "So how is it fair if nothing comes back on him..?"
Jack did hurt me...

He grins again, smugly, and I suppress my shaky breath - knowing whatever he's about to say will still be defeating my reasoning for not giving him information. But Rio doesn't speak, no, instead he stops in his tracks after drawing near me - too close now. I can feel his warm breath, his large tattoo is more detailed than ever as he hovers over me in the center of my kitchen. I can see each feather on the bird upon his Adams Apple. If he steps any closer our noses will probably touch.
"You won't be able to quit working for me, not yet. My boys are caught up with some serious stuff...I think we're gonna need you a little longer." He breathes against me. My eyes search his, when hesitation blooms within me. The words I thought about negotiating, mindlessly fall from my tongue. "I give you his name...my ex fiancé's...and I don't have to see you again." I negotiate.

His eyes scan between either of mine a moment, my heart hammers, before he finally speaks. "OK." He shrugs afterward, carelessly, taking a step back away from me. I shut my mouth from my lips being parted as I waited for his response - and I surely received it alright. I stand feet away from him now, unsure of what to say next. The right thing to do, I think, is to now inform him of Jack's name...but I don't. And I don't know why it feels as though I can't. I stand frozen, my breath is hitched. Rio watches me intently.

Just tell him, Victoria.

His name is Jack...

I purse my lips, utterly hesitant, but breathe out my ex fiancé's name anyway. "Jack..." I whisper. Rio's chocolate brown eyes glint with satisfaction a moment, before he glances down to my wooden floor, pursing his full lips when his jaw hardens. Then, he nods. I'm silently hoping he won't just around and leave the kitchen - leaving me curious and empty minded of what he's going to do about Jack. But he still stands, before I realize he's making his way toward me.
"It's a shame I'm letting you go. I enjoyed the help, Ms. Stone." I stand still as he comes closer and closer. Move, Victoria. Step back, run, do...something! But I plant my feet right on the spot, and watch him take his final step in front of me.

His gaze hooks onto mine, finally. "I guess I can return one favor." He blinks, his dark lashes visible. His brown eyes do that thing again, where they search mine.
"Now it's time for that bigger question." He takes me back to the question he asked me earlier, incomparable, he said, of what I think he'll do to Jack. I steady my gaze on his, waiting for him to spill, to say something. Then, he does. And I then wish he hadn't.

"What do you want me to do to him?" Rio asks, lowly. He stands close. My heart nearly pounds out of my chest, as I suck in a breath.

---

Hope you loved it, I certainly did!
*heart eyes*

"What do you think I'll do to him?"
"What do you want me to do to him?"

Vote. Comment. Share.
Let's get those votes up to 100 for the story!!! ;)

xx