20

Victoria

Thank you... I remember finally saying what's been hiding behind the anger I put onto Rio. What I really wanted to say to him, though I didn't know it, as I looked at Jack; bruised and beaten - there was no sympathy. There was a malevolent gratitude that crept in me, and the gangster finally ripped it out of my heart.
Thank you, I breathed.

I grip my steering wheel, eyes focused on the brick building in front of my bright headlights. The gangster doesn't stand on the small cemented porch anymore, no, for I'm ashamed to even think of his current whereabouts.
I pull out of the rocky lot, and make my way back onto the back roads and toward home.
Maybe I shouldn't of done what I did. I thanked him, and that was wrong, wasn't it? He walked away, I knew what he was going to do, I didn't stop him...
Jack deserved it.

Punctured eye socket, damaged lumbar region, the medics said.
I told Jack I know who did that to him - I really told him...and I grinned, I smiled. I walked out of my job, untamed for anyone to stop me as I walked out the main entrance.
I found Rio, I found where he stays.
And I thanked him for what he did to Jack, for what he did for me. Then, I said one more thing. Something I wasn't sure if it was OK or not to let roll from my tongue.

--

I keep my concentration on the road head ahead of me.
Minutes, finally, after a silent ride, I'm home. I get out the car, avoiding the sound of two car doors shutting, and walk up the stairs of my front porch. I unlock the front door to my house, and walk in. I hear my front door shut behind me when I'm in the foyer - I hesitate, but turn around; I have to eventually.
I turn to see Rio standing in his hoodie, his dark eyes coming to life and lighten when I flick on the light switch. He stands feet away from me, a grin playing about on his full lips as he watches me intently.

I, then, take in the words I said around half an hour ago. ...Thank you...

...Come to my house... It was much more of a statement, an order rather than questioning. I remember he just stood there, in his dark hoodie, his eyes glistening in the light coming from somewhere. But I didn't wait for a response, nor an answer. I just turned, walked off, and later heard his footsteps on the rocks behind me. He got into my car. The car ride was silent, the air in the car was thick.
And here we are...

Now, in my house, my feet are glued to the wooden floor beneath me. I don't move when Rio slowly, but surely, makes his way in my direction. Silent moments after, he stops just a couple inches from my face. My gaze stays on his, our eyes never averting from one another. He's close - so close I can breathe in his warmth. His tattoo on his neck again is near, detailed. My heart doesn't hammer, unlike usual, it's steady, calm. Rio and I breathe in the same air, as his dark brown irises burn into my own. He just stands there, close, and I don't move. I stand firmly, my eyes gazing into his, as I wait for him to do something, anything.

---

Thanks for readinggg! Hope you enjoyed! I know this chapter was much shorter.

Be sure to make that star below GOLDEN!

Lots of love,

xx