22

Victoria

My heart...it's beating so fast...

My previous words echo in my mind, taunting and causing my cheeks to flush...of embarrassment. Regret flames within me. I can't believe the words that I allowed to spill.
I want you to make it stop...
Now, Rio's dark brown eyes are glancing down to my hand - that is still placed on his hard chest. I quickly remove it, letting my hand drop to my side. My stomach immediately plummets. I watch the gangster's gaze flick up to meet my own, his expression disappointed. "Nah, there's no stopping how you feel." He begins, licking his full lips. He sends a half nod, "But I don't got no part in it." The gangster shakes his head, and I notice his jaw clench. "This wasn't part of the job, Ms. Stone." He glances in between either of my brown eyes, before turning his back on me.

I watch the gangster walk away in the opposite direction, and head towards my front door. My gut twists harshly. I repeatedly blink, trying to process his words. My brows raise, "What do you mean 'you don't have any part of it'?!" I ask, viewing his back exit the foyer. "I mean what I said. I don't have anything to do with that." Rio looks over his shoulder a moment, meeting my glare. "You don't know me, darling." His chocolate brown eyes throw darts at me, and I stand in disbelief...regret. But regret is something I can't take back.
I stand frozen, watching his hand firmly grip the knob of the front door.

"Rio." I call, and he stops in his tracks - his hand still on the knob. I can merely hear my heart pounding, as I watch him, absentminded of what to say next. But whatever does slip from my mouth, I can only hope it'll stop him from opening that door and leaving. Not after what I just stated about my own heart...the way it raced...
I hold my breath, parting my lips. "If you go..." At this point, I don't even know what I'm saying anymore. I bite my lip, the gangster's back is still turned to me. "Then it's over." I say quickly. "I- I don't work for you, I won't have to see you." No, no. Stop! Stop! My mouth finally shuts as I stand frozen. Why did I say it...? More importantly, what will he do now?

Rio turns his head, but not directly to meet my eyes - I can only see the side of his face. I can see his knuckles that grasp the doorknob whiten. Suddenly, and without another word from him, he swings open my front door. He takes one step, planting his feet under the door frame. "Then I guess there's no goin' back now, huh?" Rio asks, his voice domineering while he still looks straight ahead and avoids my narrowed eyes. I swallow. Without waiting for any form of a response, the gangster goes to shut my front door behind him, disappearing behind the tall wood. I stare at the closed door, just a moment, before exhaling the shaky breath I've been holding.

--

Well, he's not gone, right? This exact thing happened last time. Except for the fact that he now knows I just reflected the way my heart races for him...and that he actually said there will be no going back...
I can't develop this regret, not now. Because I don't want that weight, that burden.

I roll my brown eyes, ridding my thoughts and enter the kitchen. I plop down onto a seat at the center island, taking a sip from my mug of warm coffee. It's 1 a.m. and I'm still up. I know I need to get rest for work tomorrow, but I tried laying down in my bed - when I did, the only thing I could think about was the all too familiar, dangerously charming smile of Rio. I recalled the first time I saw him smile genuinely; it was only last night when we were talking about Jack in the hospital - which sounds cruel for Jack - but I couldn't help but for my gaze to trail down...

OK, that's it. I really, really need some time off for myself. After work at the Hospital tomorrow, I'll just call in 'sick' for the next day - when really I might be heading for the beach! Time for myself...I like it. My inner thoughts cause my lips to curve into a grin.
As for saving the lives of injured gang bangers...I think it's safe to say I'm still going to need that time off. Plus, who needs to have this side job, that I think I may have just lost, working for a gang member, right?

---

Hope you enjoyed, loves! Don't forget to vote, vote, vote! ;)

Much love,

xx