21

Victoria

My eyes long to know what Rio's thinking. What's on the gangster's mind?
I can still feel his warmth, the scent of light cologne pierces the air in the foyer. He stands tall, firm and inches away from his nose touching mine. For a sliver of a silent moment, it almost looks like he leans in. I stand still - but my brown eyes, before I know it, are longing for him to lean in further. But he doesn't.

My heartbeat was steady and calm because I was bold, and without force I invited him over. And now, with Rio standing so close, here with me...my heart hammers hard and fast in my chest...so fast I'm afraid he'll hear it.
...I think he made me feel this way ever since I started working for him...
At first the unsteady heart rate was the fear...the fear of him, and the petrifying feeling of his golden gun pressured up to my stomach, my neck...now it's something I'm terrified of latching onto.

Rio's dark brown eyes are searching my own, and finally, his full lips part breaking the silence. "So I take it this isn't over," he begins huskily, his lips tugging upward. I break into a small smile, shaking my head. "No, it's not." I say softly. Our standing bodies are still close, something surges through me as I still feel his warmth; electricity tingling my skin. As we breathe the same air, my small smile falters. "Rio..." I merely whisper.

It almost seems like his face softens at the sound of his name falling from my tongue, but a second later, his jaw hardens and he enters his usual seriousness all over again. His brown eyes still search mine, I swallow.
"Why do you do what you do?" I ask. I wait for some response, looking into either of his dark eyes that are clouded with mystery. But he still stands, and I don't receive a single answer from him. "The gun you carry on you...the threatening glances you send everyone?" I add, "Have you ever...killed someone?" My voice is low, hesitant.

I watch his brown eyes avert down to my lips a moment, only for a second before he flicks his gaze back onto my irises. "Yeah." Rio answers, firmly. "That scare you?" He asks in turn. I slowly take in a quiet breath, shaking my head. "No." Because I guess I already knew it.

"Do I scare you?" The gangster questions, serious, and I don't process how to answer. Does he...? No. I'm not afraid of Rio. I'm only afraid of the reason my heart races when he's near me. I notice the gangster stare at me with a curious glint in his irises.
"You scare me when you look at me like that," I answer. "When you're trying to figure me out..." I direct my gaze between either of his own, still, secretly, longing for him for say something worse - to tell me something that'll make me hate him.

Before I know it, he takes one step - and that's all it took for the tip of his nose to be brushing against mine. That's it - I can't breathe. My heart pounds increasingly, louder and louder. But I don't move or step back. Why won't I step back?! One centimeter. One more centimeter...one more step for his lips to be on mine-- what am I thinking?! NO.
Finally, through fast and low breaths I lift my feet below me...and step back. His eyes never unlatch from mine, mine never peel from his. I watch him give me a once over.
Then, his full, full lips part open. His brows are furrowed, revealing curiosity and an upcoming question. What now?
"What did you say to your lover when you saw him? I know you knew it was me that did that to him..." He grins. ...Lover? I'm taken aback, and my brows narrow. "Lover? Jack isn't my 'lover', Rio. He's my ex fiancé, you know that." I say distastefully.

Rio stands a foot away from me, not giving any response - he just watches me. I swallow lightly. "I told him I knew who you were." My heart still pounds, and my voice becomes shaky as I answer his question. "I told him that he shouldn't tell the doctors about you when they question what happened." Rio stands with his hands in his pockets, something unreadable passes his face - I don't quite grasp it.
Then, he takes one step, and appears in front of me again, his nose just barely touching mine. I flicker my gaze up to his chocolate brown irises - that are now blazing a scorching fire.
I carefully watch his eyes flick down, and linger on my lips. I swallow quietly, feeling the spark of the electricity surge when I feel his hard chest gently brush against my own.

I gaze into the gangster's eyes once more, lifting up my own hand, and without thinking, I rest my hand upon his warm chest. The warmth causes me skin to tingle - I feel him tense the moment we touch. What am I doing?! He's...a gangster...

Suddenly my eyes are examining his full lips - that his tongue just swept over gently for moisture. I avert my gaze back up to his own, his searching eyes meeting my own pair.
My heart...it's beating incredibly fast. Can he hear it? Can he feel it through the touch of my hand on his chest?

"What's on your mind sweetheart?" Asks the tense gangster, firmly, huskily. I silently let out the breath I held, and I answer without any sliver of hesitation.

"I want you to make it stop." I whisper. I watch Rio's thick brows furrow, his brown eyes locked onto mine. "What?" He asks huskily. I softly suck in a breath, my hand still on his chest. "My heart..." I respond, "It's beating so fast..." I say calmly, and frown. I can feel him release the tenseness. And for a quick moment, I can feel the thumping of his heart.

---

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed.
Q: How is everyone's day going?

Vote. Comment. Share.

Much love,

xx