18

Victoria

We've got a victim who was assaulted...
A punctured eye socket and a damaged lumbar region...

I stand leaning against the wall, my arms folded across my chest. I watch Jack lay on the hospital bed, rested and asleep. I stare at him for minutes, just looking at him; one of his eyes are swollen shut, the other lightly bruised. Dried up blood still lingers from his lips. The doctors haven't cleaned it up, not yet. I glance down to his covered abdomen - underneath the robe a large bandage covers one side of his torso. The doctors gathered that someone punched and kicked him repeatedly, over and over. I can't take my eyes off his bruised body.

The craziest, sickest part is - I don't know what I feel...about any of this. I know what I'm suppose to feel, but it doesn't quiet measure up to what's really on my mind: no hurt, no sympathy for Jack.
Maybe that's why I've been standing here for the last half hour, just looking at him - to pick up any sign of empathy. Maybe I would know how I feel if he would hurry up and wake. What am I thinking? I shouldn't think like that, I know I shouldn't. I shake my head, ridding my selfish thoughts, and tilt my head down to grip the bridge of my nose.

This wasn't suppose to happen. Not this. I look back up, and glance at my ex fiancé once more, before turning to walk out. When my back is turned I hear something - movement. I slowly turn my head, and look behind me over my shoulder. I freeze when Jack's one open eye is locked onto me - as he still lays there in silence. I turn around, and watch him. I shake my head, watching him frown.
"Who did this to you?" I ask firmly - though I know the answer, and for once, I'm not afraid of hearing his name from Jack's mouth.
He sits his head up, struggling to respond to me. My brows furrow, and I walk up to his side. Finally, when I'm next to him, he speaks. "He..." His voice is croaked, rasped. "...Tattoo..." I watch Jack raise his hand, slowly gesturing toward his neck.

I suck in a breath, and lean down to his side. I recall the last time I leaned down to face him, the last time I saw him until now, when he showed up at my house to apologize and didn't get too much of my forgiveness in return...

I whisper against his ear. "He had a tattoo, hun. Everyone here is familiar with him and his friends..." I inform him, "If I were you, when the doctors come back in here to question you...don't tell them who attacked you. Trust me, you wouldn't like that." My lips tug upward, "I know who you're referring to, love. Once you snitch on him there's no going back...so just do the right thing...and keep your mouth shut." I flick my brown eyes to meet his frightened, confused gaze, and gently pat his tense shoulder, sending an innocent smile before I turn to exit the room.

I walk away and step out into the busy hall, closing his door behind me. I stand outside the door a second, and let out a smooth breath. I look around me, to see that none of the busy nurses and doctors are paying me any attention, before I walk off in the center of the hall. I make my way toward the entrance of the Hospital, to make that my exit. I'm ending my shift a little early today - and not a single doctor, including my boss, can stop me.

-

My headlights shine on a brick building as I pull up. I put my car in park just outside the grey door at the back of the building. In front of me, a black BMW is parked.
I throw my head back on the seat after turning off the ignition. I sit in silence a moment, in thought. In front of me, is his car. The same black car I saw parked across my street when he helped his limping friend on my front porch...the car I searched for for hours. I feel it in my gut that this is it.

I open my car door, and step out onto the rocks. I shut my door and walk up to the building. Stepping up the stairs, with boldness in my gut, I pound my fist on the tall door.

After a few knocks, I stand firm, with my hands in the pockets of my jacket. The cool breeze blows against my skin, and my heart, for some reason, begins to hammer in my chest as I wait outside for Rio.

---

Thanks for reading, loves. ;)

Vote. Comment. Share.

Much love,

xx