7

Victoria

15 minutes. 15 minuets is all it took to get rid of the blood, scrub the floors and deep sanitize the equipment I used - the medical equipment I used on a dying gang member on my kitchen table.

Now, I sit in the middle of the couch, a glass of red wine I poured moments ago stands on the coffee table before me. I think I've been staring at the blank tv for nearly ten minutes. I want out. I don't want this lifestyle: dealing with gang members and cleaning up the mess of blood, outside of the hospital, anyway. That man could have died in my house. What would've happened then?

I cannot keep this up. He cannot keep this going. I think back at the gang member, dying, on my table. Images of the blood flash into my mind like dangerous rapids. And his words -

I'm gonna need you to work for me. His domineering voice echoes in my mind.

Until next time. I replay his last words.

Sweetheart, he called me.

I lean forward to grab my glass, taking a sip of the wine. I fiddle with the top of the glass and sink back onto the couch.
I can't have that happen again. I mean come on, a dying gang member bleeding out in my house!? No, if only the word was that simple to say to him. "No..." I whisper. See, that wasn't so bad. "No." I say lowly again. I need to tell him no - I don't want anything to deal with this. I never have.

"Hello, babe. Who are you talking to?" I look over a shoulder to see Jack walking in and slinging his suitcase onto the armchair. He walks up with a beaming smile. "I missed you. How was it here, do anything fun?" he asks.
I take in a low sharp breath. "Nope. Just finished cleaning around."

"Sounds like my lovely well kept lady of the house." He kisses my cheek, plopping down onto the cushion next to me. I look over to meet his blue eyes, the pair I've been lying to. I can't do it, not anymore. There is no way I'm working for a gang banger. The guy didn't give a name, a place to meet, nothing. All I know is that my 'job' in his eyes, is when he pops up and I treat. The flashing memory of what just occurred almost half an hour ago comes crashing in my mind. They can get medical attention at the hospital, I remember myself saying boldly.

They won't help. The gangster referred to the doctors, and now his domineering voice causes my head to pound.

"Hey," I hear my fiancé say, poking my shoulder. "What's on your mind?" My brows raise. "What?" I ask him blankly. I watch Jack shrug his shoulders. "Lately you just seem like you've been out of it. Is there anything wrong?"

I arch a brow. "Out of it?" I ask rather abruptly. "I'm...I'm tired, Jack. That's it." I rub around my eyes and come to a stand on my own two feet, leaving the glass on the coffee table. I begin to walk off before a gentle grip latches onto my hand, I stop. "Sounds to me like you need a vacation. Or any time off." He stands up, now near my face. "Look, get some rest tonight. When tomorrow comes, talk to your boss and see if he'll add some vacation days."

I shake my head. "You really think he of all people are going to let that happen? He's too strict, Jack." Jack frowns and pulls me closer to him. "I think you need it. It'll be fun." He says, my gaze locked onto his piercing blue irises. I perch a brow. "Alright, I'll ask but there's one condition." I bite my lip.
Curiosity flashes behind Jack's eyes. "And what will that be?" He smirks before I answer. "If you come with me." I beam a bright smile. He groans against me, "I can't, babe, there's too much work going on..." I frown. "It'll be a better time off if you're with me." I protest.

He leans down to peck my lips, before he responds. "I'm sorry, babe. Look, you, as a very independent woman," he grins, "should have a time for their self." I roll my eyes, before pulling him in for a long hug. A sigh escapes my lips. "You're right. I'll talk to him tomorrow. And I'm sorry I have been so out of it..." I feel him kiss the top of my head.

-

-Three Days Later-

"What was I thinking?" I ask Ann over my cell. I'm walking quickly past people in thick jackets in the hotel halls. I let out a heavy breath, dragging behind my small suitcase that's trailing behind. "Jack brought me here to my surprise, Ann. It's been two days since he brought me and now I'm having to rush back home!" I try to whisper.

I'm merely twenty minutes away from home, and now already rushing out the grand hotel that Jack took me to for this 'vacation' I needed.

"I was so caught up with the thought of even having five days off from work, finally. So caught up that I didn't even think of the fact that Jack is home by his self, while there's a gang banger making unexpected pop ups at my house here recently."

"I still can't believe the big boss allowed you to get these days off." I hear her shift the subject. "What if he already went there?" I panic, pushing aside her statement. I increase my pace while heading down the stairs to the check out.

"Calm down, sis. I kinda doubt the gang banger stopped by this soon. I mean, what, do his 'boys' get injured every two days?!" My sister tries to reassure. "Doubt it, but still, Ann. I just can't believe that the fact of Jack staying there alone slipped my mind-"

"Wait, say if the gang banger did make an appearance while you were gone...You don't think Jack will take him out?" I hear Ann ask curiously over the line. My lips part for a moment. "Why are you asking me this?"

Afterward I believe I hear her chuckle. "How is this funny to you?" I ask.

"No, it's not! Sorry I was just curious if you would root for the gangster, if anything were to happen..."

"Excuse me? Ann! I'm not 'rooting' for anyone. Because he is not going to show up, not today." I rather tell my own self the last.
"Well you didn't specifically answer! But I know, you're right..." My sister breathes. "No, Abby. Give me that." I hear her speak to her daughter before she directs toward me. "Get back home, Vic. I'll call you back when I can."

"Alright, love ya." I say before hearing her respond 'love you too' on the other line, and I hang up. Shoving my cell back into the back pocket of my jeans, I approach the receptionist and return the hotel room keys, moments before paying for the two nights - when I was going to stay five.

Minutes go by fast when I'm in the car, now on my way toward my neighborhood. Once I drive down my street, I spot my driveway and pull in. I try not rush out the car, but then again, what if the gangster is here? What if he or his boys did something to Jack?

I hurry up the porch from my taunting and worried thoughts and unlock the front door. I step inside and glance around as I'm stood in the foyer. I make my way upstairs, walking in the corridor to get to my bedroom. Jack's car was in the driveway, so he has to be here, somewhere. I mentally tell myself that once I see him probably working on the computer, or fast asleep in bed, I'll smile and the weight of worry would be lifted.

I open my bedroom door, only for my heart to drop in my chest and my breath to hitch. There, on my mattress lays Jack, the color of his face paled when his eyes meet mine. A younger woman lays on her back with her legs spread open - my fiancé's body between them.

---