33

Victoria

"You know you guys just left me with the cupcakes..." Ann mumbles, sitting herself on a hospital bed. I watch her make herself comfortable as I gather the dying flowers on the bedside table. My sister gasps. "And I saw the way he was looking at you, what was that about!?" I run a hand through my hair, and huff out a breath while picking up the last 'get well' card. "I don't know, Ann. But you do realize that you're laying on a hospital bed a patient just died on an hour ago, right?" I watch her gaze trail down to the gloomy flowers and envelopes in my hands.

My sister's brows raise, as she plasters a frown. "Was it an old person?" She questions. I nod, and turn around to walk out the room. "Oh no..." I hear my sister breathe. "I still don't know how you do it...cleaning up after-"
I run another hand through my brown hair before turning around to face her. "I don't know, Ann. I just can." I interject, and in turn her arched brows furrow.
"You've been acting off ever since I stopped by today. I can't help it that I haven't seen you inna week, and someone's been avoiding my calls. What is wrong?" She asks, and I glance at my sister for another second, before turning back around to exit. We both step out into the busy hall. "Sorry, I know. I just..." I glance at her next to me as she follows into step. Ann's lips tug upward when she perches a brow all of a sudden. "Miss the gang banger?" I send her a dumbfounded glance and roll my eyes.

"Rio just hasn't showed up in a while." I shrug next to her. "Chillax, sis, it hasn't been that long." I raise my brows, facing ahead of us. "It's been a week, Ann. I think that pretty much covers a 'while' that I haven't heard from him." I can feel her gaze study me a moment on our way to the disposal room. "Well, what's the last thing he said to you?" My sister asks. I turn to face her, still latching onto the flower pots in my grip before we enter our destination. "Until next time." I breathe.

--

I haven't went back to the brick building Rio and his boys stay at, yet. I've thought about it, of course, ever since the third day passed that I haven't seen him. But I didn't go to visit him, or ask for him. For some reason I didn't think I could. But today, from Ann's countless questions about the gangster, I've pulled myself to go. My hands are gripping the steering wheel as I'm on my way to the gangster's place - only hoping this isn't something I'm going to regret. What if I haven't been seeing him for a reason? What if Rio doesn't want to be seen? I've thought of a few possible scenarios...and one of which being Mikey's death was hard on him. Maybe he needs time. So, should I even go to this place?

But then when I don't - his voice, his authority, his smile, everything about him replays in my mind like some sort of broken record that I can't fix! ...Unless I see him.
I hear my phone buzz in my purse, and I pull it out. There's one text from Ann: Hope you get some rest, Vic. I know this gang banger is on your mind, but don't go and try to find him. I repeat; don't go and try to find him!!!!
My lips twitch, before my structures soften and I let out a soft breath, turning my phone off to focus on the road. On the backroads, I pull onto the rocky lot, and put my car in park. Checking the time  just before I get out to see it's almost six at night, I then get out and begin making my way to the porch steps.

Sucking in a low breath, I stand on the cemented porch, and knock on the familiar metal back door. If Rio opens it...what exactly do I say to him? Hey, I think a piece of me was worried about you because I haven't seen you in a week...?! I throw my head back, ridding my thoughts mentally and pushing them aside. It doesn't matter who opens-
Suddenly, the metal door swings open, and I stand on the doorstep only to see the familiar face of Chris. My lips part. Did I want Rio to be the one to open that door?

"Doctor Lady." Chris begins, his lips tugging upward. I offer a small smile in return. "Nurse, and please, call me Victoria." I clear my throat. "Is he...is he here?" I push back a strand of my hair behind an ear, just before I notice Chris' expression shift to something I can't latch onto. The gang member scratches the back of his neck, before shaking his head. "No, he's not in right now..." He says, and I purse my lips, glancing down onto the cemented surface below me a moment. I flick my gaze on the gang member once again. He raises his brows and points over his broad shoulder. "Wanna come inside? There's drinks-" Chris pauses when I shake my head in front of him. I furrow my brows, watching his shady gaze fixate on my own. "Can I ask you where he-"

"Look, Rio won't be back for a while, maybe. So, if you wanted to see him, Victoria, I think you'll be waiting here for a while." He interjects, firmly. I hold my breath, and nod slowly, biting my lip. I perch a brow, just before Chris must realize I'm looking for answers, and he breathes.

"Rio took off days ago to take care of the dealers, Victoria." Rio's boy scratches his thick beard. "The same dealers that got Mikey killed." He finishes.

---

I know it's been a couple of days, but I hope you enjoyed, loves!
Last week, I found out I got accepted into college, so, ahhh!!! *bows*

New chapter will be up soon, definitely!

Special thanks to beautifulheathen who sent me a lovely message, and I was and still am unable to respond to any messages or posts, but I wanted to thank you for what you said! It made my day! I'm glad you enjoy this book, I love it too! And who doesn't love Rio?!

Vote. Comment. Share.

Much love,

xx