55

Victoria

The glass is warm between my fingers. The coffee mug in my grasp, on the smooth surface of my kitchen island, plasters just inches away from the second full mug.

Reassuring steam ascends from the dark liquid in each cup, and the steam withers just as it reaches near the gangster's face. Rio stands on the other side of the island, his hands folded as he watches me intently. I stay in my seat, legs crossed, my brown eyes never releasing his.

He stands vesturing a deep navy blue button down shirt with dark pants - a thin silver chain rests around his neck, bringing out the tattoo underneath. I watch Rio's full lips twitch, just as he reaches to pick up a single key plastered on the granite countertop. He lifts the key up to align with his gaze.

"So this is it, huh?" He starts, huskily. I blink at him, taking a smooth sip of the satisfaction in my hands. I nod in turn. Rio licks his lips briefly a moment, before fixating his steady gaze on me. With the support of either of his palms, he leans across the countertop.

With pursed lips, the gangster nods deliberately, before resting his chin in one hand - as his face nears me. He blinks his dark lashes my way. I succeed in suppressing a grin as I look right into his chocolate brown eyes.

"You can't lose that key, Rio." I state seriously, just before his own brows narrow in turn.

"I look like a kid to you?" He questions lowly with a pout playing about on his lips, his tone hinting with disappointment.

"No. But that's the only spare key I have to offer." I search Rio's deep brown eyes as he still leans on the island across me. I sigh in my seat. "Do what you want with it." I take another sip from my warm mug and shrug, seemingly careless. Rio's watches me blankly a moment, before his full lips curve upward. His tongue sweeps across his lips quickly for moisture, and he makes his way around the island toward me.

Smoothly the gangster makes it over, and I face ahead to avoid his gaze. But he has my undivided attention - as I see him claim the barstool next to me in my peripheral vision. I take another sip of the coffee, that is, before I get distracted by his simple gaze - I can practically feel his close proximity as his face nears mine. I sit down my mug, and turn to face him. When I meet his steady gaze, I catch a mere sparkle in his irises.

"What do you want, Rio?" I ask, curious to learn what's on his mind. I watch him examine my face momentarily, as if he's searching for something that only I hold the answers to. When he looks at me that way - I feel like my heart is about to pound out of my chest.

"Nothin' from you, darlin'." He says, searching either of my brown irises. His full lips twitch. "'Cause you already give me more than I can count." He adds huskily, seemingly as an afterthought and barely audible - his bold eyes hold my own.

I part my lips, and the gangster nears himself - his lips just barely brushing against my own now. My eyes stay on his, as his own irises linger on my lips.

"But what I want with you is a different question." Rio breathes, and again he speaks so low I can barely catch it, but I do. And my heart hammers incredibly fast at his words. What does he want with me?

Before I know it, my gaze has flicked down to his own luscious pair of lips, and when I do I hurriedly clear my throat. I fix my eyes on his dark irises.

"So, do you cook?" I blurt - shifting the subject, before instantly face palming myself mentally. I turn to face ahead, hiding my flushed cheeks.

I hear a chuckle escape Rio's lips next to me. When I decide to face him again, he comes to a stand on his own two feet. I watch him reach across the counter to grab the gold house key again, a smirk playing about on his full lips.

"I'll see you later, darlin'." He says, latching onto my gaze another moment longer as I'm still in my seat - assuming I won't receive an answer to my question.

"Gotta clean up some stuff with my boys." The gangster turns around with the key in his hand, exiting the kitchen to head toward my front door.

Before he swings the door open he throws a glance over his shoulder. "Don't worry I'll put this key to use, yeah?" He sends a quick once over before turning back around, and opening the front door.

When I watch his back draw farther away, I think about the things we really needed to discuss before he leaves; Jack and... well, Jack. Rio never talked about what he's wanting to do about the cops finding his body - and if they find prints...

"Wait." I call. Rio stops in his tracks, and glances over his shoulder again. He locks onto my gaze - my lips part.

When or if the police come to me, hence I was Jack's fiancé; I can go to the cops without a problem. I can lie to them without a sliver of hesitation. I can lie because I know how this ends if I spill the truth - which isn't an option in my book. And I can't lose what's at risk.

I think back at Rio's words earlier. The condition is you willing to protect yourself; he said. I remember the warmth of his touch when he brushed his hand against my cheek, so gently.

He's so infallible when it comes to serious, life threatening situations. Always certain enough that he won't get caught - that I, too, won't get caught.

"What do you think they'll ask me?" I ask. After a silent moment, Rio turns to face me directly. I can see his jaw harden from afar, he folds his hands.

"They're not gonna ask you anything, sweetheart." Rio shakes his head afterward, his full lips twitching as he seems to suppress a mischievous grin.

"What do you think I'm leaving to do?" He causes my heart to race after he speaks so huskily, again, bold and not afraid. I raise my brows.

"What? No." I state firmly. In return the gangster furrows his brows, vesturing a slight frown in confusion.

I come to a stand, never releasing his gaze. "I feel like you're always cleaning up after me." Frustration piles me when I hear the truth in my words - I shake my head. "You can't keep doing this..."

Just then, Rio begins walking in my direction, and I trail off from my words. As he makes his way deliberately towards me, I watch his full lips tug upward. I stand in place, still, when he stops just inches away from me.

Rio searches either of my eyes. "You cleaned up my mess by burying the boy's body." He says lowly. "Guess we're even now, huh?" He reasons, his searching gaze burning into mine. I lightly swallow, my heart brutally hammering against my ribcage.

The gangster licks his lips. "Sit tight, darlin'." He finishes huskily, before dismissing himself and turning to exit my house. When the front door shuts behind him, I stand in confusion, and curiosity of what he's going to do.

I purse my lips - guilt blooms inside me. I may have buried Jack's body, but that doesn't give Rio the pass to clean up a mess of my own. Maybe I didn't dig the hole deep enough, I don't know, I can't remember!

But him going to resolve this makes everything more difficult. I mean...what does he mean by 'clean it up'?! It's not like he can take back the body...

I softly release the breath I didn't know I've been holding, and turn around to face the rest of the kitchen.

What now? Within silent moments of standing in the same spot, I can't seem to shake the guilt that surfaces, so I finally decide to distract myself with what us regular women would do instead;

And I begin heavy-duty cleaning.

---

Hope you all enjoyed!
Next chapter will be up soon! AND I just wanted to remind you all that we are all equal, and I appreciate each and every one of you... God loves you. <3

Vote. Comment. Share.

xx